Date: 7/12/20 3:27 pm
From: Roy Lowe <roy.loweiii...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Laysan, Black-footed & Hybrid Albatross
Bob et al

After putting on my thinking cap (I had to hunt for it) I remembered that on my last trip to Midway Atoll I took photos with a point & shoot digital camera and I found the photos. Attached are images of 3 hybrids. The fist one is walking like a black-footed and note it is banded. The second one on the nest was also banded and the third bird never got up from the nest so I don’t know if it was banded. It would have been interesting to capture the two banded birds and see how they were reported to the BBL. The third bird looks pretty much like an Laysan except for the scalloped feather pattern and I’m not sure if it is a hybrid or something else is going on. A beautiful bird nonetheless.

Roy Lowe
Waldport, OR

> On Jul 12, 2020, at 1:36 PM, Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:
>
> A recent discussion of a mystery Storm Petrel developed a side feature concerning the distribution of these two albatrosses off of Oregon and the
> West Coast of the US and Mexico. Roy listed the total populations and said he had seen 10 or so hybrids among 100,000s of thousands near their
> Hawaiian breeding colonies.
> So, I searched through my photos and came up with a long-ago photo of a hybrid I had photographed off of Oregon in 1992.
> Along with this I have included a photo of a different one that I received from the well-known Seabirder Michael Force about that time.
> The one I photographed could have been a back-cross with Black-footed. What do people think?
>
> Also included is a Laysan I photographed in Monterey Bay in Aug 2010. This is from the fairly new Mexican colony, the first in North America. What a lucky shot that one was.
> I saw the band only after I had reviewed the photos. As I've said before. Shoot first, ask questions later.
> Bob OBrien Carver OR
>
> PS After finding my photo it was natural to search eBird for records of this hybrid off of the US and Mexican West Coast and I only found two..
> Hee hee, check this one out by an enterprising, quite young, Oregon birder; later to gain considerable fame. https://ebird.org/checklist/S32390749 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S32390749>
> It's a small birders' world and getting smaller all the time.
>
> PPS The other 'record', off of San Francisco is a little puzzling. A photo is mentioned but none is present and there is no documentation for an apparently quite rare hybrid.
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S38088639 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S38088639><BFALxLAAL&bandedLAAL.jpg>

Join us on Facebook!