Date: 7/12/20 1:37 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Laysan, Black-footed & Hybrid Albatross
A recent discussion of a mystery Storm Petrel developed a side feature
concerning the distribution of these two albatrosses off of Oregon and the
West Coast of the US and Mexico. Roy listed the total populations and said
he had seen 10 or so hybrids among 100,000s of thousands near their
Hawaiian breeding colonies.
So, I searched through my photos and came up with a long-ago photo of a
hybrid I had photographed off of Oregon in 1992.
Along with this I have included a photo of a different one that I received
from the well-known Seabirder Michael Force about that time.
The one I photographed could have been a back-cross with Black-footed.
What do people think?

Also included is a Laysan I photographed in Monterey Bay in Aug 2010. This
is from the fairly new Mexican colony, the first in North America. What a
lucky shot that one was.
I saw the band only after I had reviewed the photos. As I've said before.
Shoot first, ask questions later.
Bob OBrien Carver OR

PS After finding my photo it was natural to search eBird for records of
this hybrid off of the US and Mexican West Coast and I only found two..
Hee hee, check this one out by an enterprising, quite young, Oregon birder;
later to gain considerable fame. https://ebird.org/checklist/S32390749
It's a small birders' world and getting smaller all the time.

PPS The other 'record', off of San Francisco is a little puzzling. A
photo is mentioned but none is present and there is no documentation for an
apparently quite rare hybrid.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S38088639

Join us on Facebook!