Date: 7/12/20 11:21 am
From: Bob Reiling <rreiling2...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Least Tern photos

All,
Thought that I might post a couple of photos of Least Terns seen recently in Salt Pod A2E that I posted on e-bird (one of an adult in flight and another of the Juvenile being fed by an adult. To view the e-bird report check the address below. As can be seen in the photo of the adult and the juvenile the juvenile looks similar to a juvenile Common Tern with a black Carpal bar and the black continuing along the leading edge of the wing, white forehead and black nape. Of course it's a much smaller bird. If one looks at the primaries on left wing of the adult the black is on the leading edge of the wing (on Forster's Terns the black is on the trailing edge of the primaries. The adult in the second photo clearly has a yellow bill (adult Forster's Terns have a black tipped orange bill). These are, of course, only a few of the clues and differences.

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S71327737 https://ebird.org/checklist/S71327737

Take care,
Bob Reiling

View/Reply Online (#22000): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/22000