Date: 7/11/20 6:40 pm
From: Rowe, Richard A, 'Dick' <RoweRA...>
Subject: [va-bird] Rattlesnakes and birds
I headed up to the Blue Ridge Parkway this morning to look for birds. I traveled my typical route between mile posts 27 and 45 (Vesuvius and Buena Vista). The Pway is being paved - chip and seal - so it is a bit of a mess and for those of you who are cyclists, like me, I'd stay off the Pway between MP 0 and 60 for a while - lots of gravel and dust. The birds were active/vocal this morning - I heard/saw Cerulean Warblers, Blackburnian W, Redstarts, Hooded Warblers, Ovenbirds, Black-throated Green Warblers, Wood Thrushes, Robins, Juncos, Pewees, Field Sparrows, Song Sparrows, Barn and Tree Swallows, and Goldfinches. I decided to go look for an Acadian Flycatcher that I'd been hearing on MTN bike rides on Forest Service Rds. Along one stretch of FS 76 there are many Acadian Fly. Two Acadian's were calling when I arrived and I was able to get some photos of one. During my outing, I came across 2 Timber Rattlesnakes - a yellow or light phase and a black or dark phase. They were bea
utiful and rather calm (no coiling or rattling)!
I've posted a few photos on Flickr if you're interested: https://www.flickr.com/photos/vmibiology/

Dick Rowe
VMI Biology Dept

<bird...> To unsubscribe, send email to