Date: 7/11/20 8:08 am
From: Bob Archer <rabican1...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Black Storm-Petrel
Hi:

Excellent spotting on the Storm-Petrel, Ashy usually do have that pale
underwing, when you see them fly, most of the time, you see that pale area
flash at you. Not always. To me the body of an Ashy looks like an ice
cream cone with that long narrow tail and prominent head. The striking
features of Black are the flight style and the large wings. So a very
different shaped bird.

And as to Laysan, the ones that we have been able to track off Oregon and
Wash have all been, as far as I know, from the growing Mexican population.
I would not doubt that I have seen Hawaiaan birds, but no tags yet. They
simply wander more north into the Pacific than Black-footed.

Bob Archer
PDX

Join us on Facebook!