Date: 7/11/20 7:46 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Common Nighthawk - Buffalo
I have heard the theory about crows taking advantage of nighthawks nesting on roofs in the cities and I think there could well be something to that. I checked Birds of the World at the Cornell Lab but other than domestic cats, there are few other predators on nighthawks that have been documented. However, they also indicated that ravens, crows, gulls, kestrels, owls, coyotes, foxes, and snakes were likely predators as well. And, that ground-nesters like Nighthawks, are especially vulnerable to skunks, opossums, and raccoons.

However, I have never heard the theory mentioned by Gerry and attributed to Bob Brock, of plastic bags making it easier for crows to forage through our garbage. This behavior, however, has been documented and it makes sense that it could have helped to swell the numbers of crows in urban locations. While it is certainly true that crows spread into urban areas from rural areas, which they never really left, and that this was likely due to a good food supply as well as fewer predators, I am not so sure that crows are now leaving cities in favor of rural sites. According to birders, there are still many crows in the cities. Overall, numbers seem lower than say, 25 years ago, but this could well be due to West Nile Virus, of which the American Crow is particularly susceptible.

Coincident with an increase in crows in urban areas, flat roof construction on buildings changed also. Instead of gravel roofs, which the nighthawks preferred for their nests, rubber roofs are now used. The gravel prevented the eggs from rolling and the rubber may allow the roofs to get hotter than gravel roofs, both of which could be detrimental to nesting success. In addition the solid color of rubber roofs may reduce camouflage of the eggs, allowing for easier detection by predators. Placing gravel pads on the corners of flat rubber roofs may help nighthawks.

Thank-you for your thought-provoking post, Gerry!

Good birding!

Willie

Literature cited: Brigham, R. M., J. Ng, R. G. Poulin, and S. D. Grindal (2020). Common Nighthawk (Chordeiles minor), version 1.0. In Birds of the World (A. F. Poole, Editor). Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, NY, USA. <https://doi.org/10.2173/bow.comnig.01> https://doi.org/10.2173/bow.comnig.01

Verbeek, N. A. and C. Caffrey (2020). American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos), version 1.0. In Birds of the World (A. F. Poole and F. B. Gill, Editors). Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, NY, USA. <https://doi.org/10.2173/bow.amecro.01> https://doi.org/10.2173/bow.amecro.01