Date: 7/10/20 12:29 am
From: Mark Holmgren <maholmgren33...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Tecolote Creek, 8 and 9 July 2020
On 8 and 9 July I walked *Tecolote Creek* bottom covering more than 3
miles. Where neighborhoods border the creek the streamside habitat is
generally in excellent condition. Further upstream avocado orchards press
against the banks of the creek and more exotic species bleed into the
channel (Arundo, Bamboo, lots of Ivy). But the creek twists and turns more
in the upstream section and that alone creates interesting niches not found
in a straight channel. Water flowed through all but the upstream most 150
meters. The bottom is sediment filled, and not rocky, due to the periodic
check dams that hold sediment in the channel.

As I went into the upstream sections I found more of the species that we
consider special along the South Coast—more Yellow Warblers, Wilson’s
Warblers, and Warbling Vireos. Also, House Wrens, Purple Finches, and
American Robins, not present downstream, were present upstream.

Special finds were:

- *Western Wood-Pewee*, now perilously uncommon along the South Coast, 2
adults feeding 3 short-tailed fledglings.
- *Western Tanager*, singing at 75 meters (246 feet) elevation.
- 3 *Common Ground-Doves* at 2 different places.
- 9 *Wilson Warbler* singing males, breeding confirmed at one of 7
different sites.
- 41 *Pacific-slope Flycatchers* was a lot.
- 11 *Yellow Warblers*, mostly singing males.

I did not find Swainson’s Thrush that was heard there in summer of either
2018 or 2019. I was surprised to not detect Mallard, Black-chinned or
Anna's hummingbird, California Quail. Scarce were House Wrens,
Orange-crowned Warblers, Black-headed Grosbeaks, and House Finches.

My 6 checklists can be found at:

https://ebird.org/region/US-CA-083/activity?yr=all&m=

Mark Holmgren

San Marcos Pass