Date: 7/9/20 7:46 am
From: Sylvia Miskoe <sylviasmiskoe...>
Subject: [NHBirds] busy peaceable kingdom
This morning the mallard family lounged on the edge of the backyard pond.
At some point they swam towards the lily pads and played in the
water, flapping their wings. Next they swam back to their usual spot
on the bank but 3 painted turtles were already there so the ducks rested in
the water and lily pads. The family is still intact - mother + 7.
At about the same time I saw 3 turkey hens and 2 poults walk under the
fence into the short pasture. Next I saw a redwing dive bombing the
turkeys who ignored it. Lastly a hen turkey came out of the hayfield
accompanied by lots of small poults and another hen. They stayed close to
the edge of the field and disappeared.
A kildeer observed from a rock but did not worry.
Now the area looks completely deserted.
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord