Date: 7/9/20 3:19 am
From: Teresa Hertzel <teresa.hertzel...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Oregon Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

Trumpeter Swan (1 Lane)
Canvasback (4 Lane)
Wild Turkey (1 Malheur)
Black Swift (1 Lane)
Rufous Hummingbird (2 Curry)
Mew Gull (1 Tillamook)
Glaucous-winged Gull (1 Clackamas)
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted x Red-shafted) (1 Tillamook)
Pacific-slope Flycatcher (1 Lake)
Eastern Kingbird (2 Crook)
Rock Wren (2 Curry)
Varied Thrush (1 Deschutes)
Cassin's Finch (2 Lane)
Red Crossbill (Ponderosa Pine or type 2) (3 Lake)
Brewer's Sparrow (1 Jackson)
Fox Sparrow (2 Lane, 1 Multnomah)
Lincoln's Sparrow (2 Lane)
Great-tailed Grackle (1 Malheur)
Northern Waterthrush (2 Lane)
Common Yellowthroat (1 Morrow)

Trumpeter Swan (Cygnus buccinator) (1)
- Reported Jul 08, 2020 10:56 by Nancy Clogston
- Forcia and Larsen Reservoir, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0682574,-123.4793168&ll=44.0682574,-123.4793168
- Comments: "Continuing."

Canvasback (Aythya valisineria) (1)
- Reported Jul 08, 2020 08:48 by Jim Regali
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0705825,-123.2574606&ll=44.0705825,-123.2574606
- Comments: "Male with sloping forehead, white side and dark back."

Canvasback (Aythya valisineria) (1)
- Reported Jul 08, 2020 08:46 by Jim Mitchell
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0705825,-123.2574606&ll=44.0705825,-123.2574606
- Comments: "Sloping forehead with white sides and back. Male"

Canvasback (Aythya valisineria) (1)
- Reported Jul 08, 2020 08:13 by Cindy Armstrong
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0705825,-123.2574606&ll=44.0705825,-123.2574606
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Pond 5. Continuing."

Canvasback (Aythya valisineria) (1)
- Reported Jul 08, 2020 06:37 by Vickie Buck
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0705825,-123.2574606&ll=44.0705825,-123.2574606
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Reported recently. Located in Pond 5"

Wild Turkey (Meleagris gallopavo) (4)
- Reported Jul 08, 2020 09:00 by Vern Tunnell
- Succor creek state park, Malheur, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.5032427,-117.1270037&ll=43.5032427,-117.1270037
- Media: 1 Photo

Black Swift (Cypseloides niger) (2)
- Reported Jul 07, 2020 17:19 by Caleb Centanni
- Salt Creek Falls, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.61179,-122.12861&ll=43.61179,-122.12861
- Comments: "Rare: 8:42 PM two seen. Expected to see a Vaux's Swift, but
when I (Caleb) raised my bins, I saw a jet black swift with longer, more
curved wings than a Vaux's and a slightly longer tail, clearly forked down
the middle, held tightly closed. Head also perhaps projected slightly more
from wings. Slender overall. Fast but powerful flight.

We both watched one flying in for a few seconds before it interacted with a
second, and I then lost them. Courtney stayed on one as it completed a
steep dive down into the canyon, toward the waterfall, so fast she couldn't
follow it. We presume it entered the falls, since we never saw one again.
It would have flown through into the lower half of the falls, based on its
trajectory.

Courtney probably saw one with close group of Vaux's Swifts at 8:15 PM, but
didn't confirm. They were quite distinctive, but we were also surprised how
similar to Vaux's they seemed in our brief views. I expected their flight
to be slower than we observed, though it was more powerful and a bit
shallower, as I expected.

Lifer for me (Caleb)! Probably the most common non-pelagic bird in the
state that I was missing, since they both migrate through and nest here. We
were both worried they wouldn't be here this year, since they are typically
reported in late May and June and there had been no reports this year. It
also looks like their populations have declined at Salt Creek since the
1990s, so it was encouraging and felt like a blessing to see these two,
gliding powerfully through the sky. I can understand others' descriptions
now of how awesome they are to see.

And also sweet, since last year Courtney, Nolan, and so many others got to
see them while I never got time to come out. Sweet to see them with my
dearest Love. We plan on trying to catch the coastal migration next year.

A sweet afternoon, hammocking above the forested canyon, awaiting swifts in
the sky. So many rhododendrons here. A beautiful place to be."

Rufous Hummingbird (Selasphorus rufus) (1)
- Reported Jul 08, 2020 07:39 by Rindee Sannar
- 94200–94380 Langlois Mountain Rd, Langlois US-OR 42.92774, -124.44287,
Curry, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.927743,-124.442875&ll=42.927743,-124.442875
- Comments: "Female. Stout body with rust color on body under wings"

Rufous Hummingbird (Selasphorus rufus) (1)
- Reported Jul 08, 2020 07:39 by Rick Sannar
- 94200–94380 Langlois Mountain Rd, Langlois US-OR 42.92774, -124.44287,
Curry, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.927743,-124.442875&ll=42.927743,-124.442875
- Comments: "Female. Stout body with rust color on body under wings"

Mew Gull (Larus canus) (1)
- Reported Jul 03, 2020 13:47 by Jules Evens
- Nehalem Bay SP--Boat Ramp, Tillamook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.68955,-123.93382&ll=45.68955,-123.93382
- Comments: "Adult in alternate (breeding) plumage. Well seen as it stood
next to a 2nd cycle California Gull. Classic slender, diminutive yellow
bill with no pattern, clean white head and nape, relatively short straw
colored legs, relatively dainty build. Black primaries with white windows
(though not seen in flight). Unmistakable, though a-seasonal! Not clearly
separated from Kamchatka gull, though seemed typical for our standard Mew.
I believe this bird was seen by Gary Fugle in the same spot two days prior."

Glaucous-winged Gull (Larus glaucescens) (1)
- Reported Jul 08, 2020 07:13 by Russell Cooper
- River Island Natural Area--South Unit, Clackamas, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.371773,-122.405607&ll=45.371773,-122.405607
- Comments: "Flying over. Will add photos."

Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted x Red-shafted) (Colaptes auratus luteus x
cafer) (1)
- Reported Jul 08, 2020 07:15 by Vicki Miller
- Jackson Way Manzanita, Tillamook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.7174628,-123.9288074&ll=45.7174628,-123.9288074
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Younger flicker is an intergrade. Gray face, brown head, red
malar, orange-red shafted and slight red"

Pacific-slope Flycatcher (Empidonax difficilis) (1)
- Reported Jul 04, 2020 05:25 by Jonah Benningfield
- NF-290--north end, Lake, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.0117734,-120.8060932&ll=43.0117734,-120.8060932
- Comments: "Recordings. Calling. Typical pac-slope (slurred “tsu-wee!”)
and did not sound intermediate to me"

Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus) (2)
- Reported Jul 08, 2020 09:00 by Cindy Zalunardo
- SE Puett Rd.--Bobolink Prairie, Crook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.1634946,-119.7539573&ll=44.1634946,-119.7539573
- Comments: "White-breasted kingbird with White terminal tailband."

Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus) (2)
- Reported Jul 08, 2020 09:00 by Sheila Timony
- SE Puett Rd.--Bobolink Prairie, Crook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.1634946,-119.7539573&ll=44.1634946,-119.7539573
- Comments: "White-breasted kingbird with White terminal tailband."

Rock Wren (Salpinctes obsoletus) (2)
- Reported Jul 08, 2020 07:39 by Rindee Sannar
- 94200–94380 Langlois Mountain Rd, Langlois US-OR 42.92774, -124.44287,
Curry, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.927743,-124.442875&ll=42.927743,-124.442875
- Comments: "Light colored wren with soft eye line. Too light to be Pacific
wren. Eye line not as distinct as Bewick’s wren"

Rock Wren (Salpinctes obsoletus) (2)
- Reported Jul 08, 2020 07:39 by Rick Sannar
- 94200–94380 Langlois Mountain Rd, Langlois US-OR 42.92774, -124.44287,
Curry, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.927743,-124.442875&ll=42.927743,-124.442875
- Comments: "Light colored wren with soft eye line. Too light to be Pacific
wren. Eye line not as distinct as Bewick’s wren"

Varied Thrush (Ixoreus naevius) (1)
- Reported Jul 08, 2020 04:50 by Caleb Centanni
- Deschutes—Charlton Lake--roadside camping off NFS Rd 5897
(43.7457,-121.9618), Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.745663,-121.961873&ll=43.745663,-121.961873
- Comments: "Singing distinctive song of vibrant single chords, spaced a
few seconds apart, each on a different pitch. Tone like whistle, with
mostly pure tone but a hint of hoarseness. Tone different from Hermit,
which is clearer, with more pure single-pitched tone and more complexity
after introductory note. Heard clearly and continuously over extended
period. Familiar with song from birds that begin singing late winter in the
Willamette Valley. I feel very certain, but should mention that Courtney
later heard and thought it sounded off for her VATH she has heard in the
Cascades before, and though it sounded good to her, she didn't feel totally
certain of ID, wondered if Hermit Thrush could somehow make this sound. It
sounds spot-on and typical to me, but I also respect her opinion as an
experienced birder in these mountains, and this adds some uncertainty to
the ID."

Cassin's Finch (Haemorhous cassinii) (2)
- Reported Jul 07, 2020 12:54 by Laura Johnson
- North Shoreline Trail (43.7612,-122.0052), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.761224,-122.005216&ll=43.761224,-122.005216
- Media: 3 Photos, 1 Audio
- Comments: "Singing male accompanied by female. Like Purple Finch with
contrasting bright red cap, streaked undertail coverts. Female seen chasing
a chipmunk out of dead fir/hemlock with needles still intact. Nest 25’ up,
within a foot of the top of the tree. Possibly feeding nestlings before
settling onto the nest."

Cassin's Finch (Haemorhous cassinii) (2)
- Reported Jul 07, 2020 12:54 by John Sullivan
- North Shoreline Trail (43.7612,-122.0052), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.761224,-122.005216&ll=43.761224,-122.005216
- Media: 3 Photos, 1 Audio
- Comments: "Singing male accompanied by female. Like Purple Finch with
contrasting bright red cap, streaked undertail coverts. Female seen chasing
a chipmunk out of dead fir/hemlock with needles still intact. Nest 25’ up,
within a foot of the top of the tree. Possibly feeding nestlings before
settling onto the nest."

Red Crossbill (Ponderosa Pine or type 2) (Loxia curvirostra (type 2)) (42)
- Reported Jul 04, 2020 08:15 by Jonah Benningfield
- NF-290--north end, Lake, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.0117734,-120.8060932&ll=43.0117734,-120.8060932
- Comments: "Some recorded. Dominant type here. Largest group 24"

Red Crossbill (Ponderosa Pine or type 2) (Loxia curvirostra (type 2)) (8)
- Reported Jul 04, 2020 06:17 by Jonah Benningfield
- NF-290--north end, Lake, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.0117734,-120.8060932&ll=43.0117734,-120.8060932
- Comments: "Expected type. Recs."

Red Crossbill (Ponderosa Pine or type 2) (Loxia curvirostra (type 2)) (4)
- Reported Jul 04, 2020 05:25 by Jonah Benningfield
- NF-290--north end, Lake, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.0117734,-120.8060932&ll=43.0117734,-120.8060932
- Comments: "Calling. Recs"

Brewer's Sparrow (Spizella breweri) (1)
- Reported Jul 07, 2020 10:33 by Jamie Simmons
- Rogue River - Siskiyou National Forest, Ashland US-OR 42.08496,
-122.72741, Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.084963,-122.727408&ll=42.084963,-122.727408
- Comments: "Distinctly heard at least one Brewer’s Sparrow song to the
west of Rabbit Ears in the area of the descending valley/depression."

Fox Sparrow (Passerella iliaca) (1)
- Reported Jul 07, 2020 12:54 by John Sullivan
- North Shoreline Trail (43.7612,-122.0052), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.761224,-122.005216&ll=43.761224,-122.005216
- Comments: "Heard only. Familiar song in appropriate nesting habitat at
Upper Rigdon Lake. Seen in this same location last year."

Fox Sparrow (Passerella iliaca) (1)
- Reported Jul 07, 2020 12:54 by Laura Johnson
- North Shoreline Trail (43.7612,-122.0052), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.761224,-122.005216&ll=43.761224,-122.005216
- Comments: "Heard only. Familiar song in appropriate nesting habitat at
Upper Rigdon Lake. Seen in this same location last year."

Fox Sparrow (Passerella iliaca) (1)
- Reported Jul 08, 2020 09:53 by Taylor Abbott
- Portland Audubon Bird Sanctuary, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.5277023,-122.7291892&ll=45.5277023,-122.7291892
- Comments: "Seen along stream"

Lincoln's Sparrow (Melospiza lincolnii) (3)
- Reported Jul 07, 2020 12:54 by Laura Johnson
- North Shoreline Trail (43.7612,-122.0052), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.761224,-122.005216&ll=43.761224,-122.005216
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Appropriate nesting habitat. Small Sparrow, fine streaks over
Buffy wash across breast. One carrying food near Waldo Lake. One singer
plus another seen at Upper Rigdon Lake."

Lincoln's Sparrow (Melospiza lincolnii) (3)
- Reported Jul 07, 2020 12:54 by John Sullivan
- North Shoreline Trail (43.7612,-122.0052), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.761224,-122.005216&ll=43.761224,-122.005216
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Appropriate nesting habitat. Small Sparrow, fine streaks over
Buffy wash across breast. One carrying food near Waldo Lake. One singer
plus another seen at Upper Rigdon Lake."

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) (6)
- Reported Jul 07, 2020 19:43 by judy meredith
- pilot stop -1021 Washington Avenue, Ontario, Oregon, US (44.044,
-116.977), Malheur, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0441667,-116.9773722&ll=44.0441667,-116.9773722
- Comments: "Known location. Much larger than nearby Brewers, longer"

Northern Waterthrush (Parkesia noveboracensis) (1)
- Reported Jul 07, 2020 08:17 by Laura Johnson
- Willamette National Forest, Blue River US-OR 43.61305, -122.09486, Lane,
Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.613054,-122.094865&ll=43.613054,-122.094865
- Media: 1 Photo, 1 Audio
- Comments: "Continuing singer found by Tom Mickel. Heard from the road.
Seen in distant willows on far side of the creek. Brown above, faint yellow
wash below, heavily streaked breast, prominent white supercillium."

Northern Waterthrush (Parkesia noveboracensis) (1)
- Reported Jul 07, 2020 08:17 by John Sullivan
- Willamette National Forest, Blue River US-OR 43.61305, -122.09486, Lane,
Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.613054,-122.094865&ll=43.613054,-122.094865
- Media: 1 Photo, 1 Audio
- Comments: "Continuing singer found by Tom Mickel. Heard from the road.
Seen in distant willows on far side of the creek. Brown above, faint yellow
wash below, heavily streaked breast, prominent white supercillium."

Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 08, 2020 10:49 by David Yeamans
- Umatilla National Wildlife Refuge, Irrigon US-OR 45.89377, -119.55981,
Morrow, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.893769,-119.559813&ll=45.893769,-119.559813
- Comments: "Heard the diagnostic call, witchity etc."

eBird Alerts provide recent reports of regionally or seasonally rare
species (Rarities Alerts) or species you have not yet observed (Needs
Alerts) in your region of interest; both Accepted and Unreviewed
observations are included. Some reports may be from private property or
inaccessible to the general public. It is the responsibility of every
eBirder to be aware of and respectful of access restrictions. For more
information, see our Terms of Use:
https://www.birds.cornell.edu/home/terms-of-use/

Join us on Facebook!