Date: 7/8/20 6:57 pm
From: Andrew Birch via groups.io <andyrbirch=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Apparent dark-billed tern at Malibu Lagoon
I have not seen this bird but noticed these distant shots posted on iNaturalist of a candidate Sandwich "Cabot's" Tern (or hybrid Sandwich x Elegant) candidate at Malibu Lagoon. It was apparently photographed this afternoon. Unfortunately, to complicate matters, the bird has a dark breast patch, perhaps, indicating oil or perhaps it's indeed just an aberrant Elegant Tern. Anyway, it appears to have a very dark bill and pale tip and so I thought I would flag in case anyone had plans to be out there tomorrow to keep an eye out for it.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/52411733

And for anyone interested, here's a Flickr page of hybrid types from San Diegohttps://www.flickr.com/photos/68911779@N00/albums/72157633142742595/with/8611562963/

Best, Andy BirchLos Feliz

-=-=-