Date: 7/8/20 1:27 pm
From: Beverly Propen via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Fwd: CACC
On Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 1:03:46 PM EDT, Beverly Propen <
<bpropen...> wrote:

7/8/20-Milford, Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center, 9am-11am. low tide,
sunny/partly cloudy, 83F.
I was greeted by the Song sparrow that sits in the tree where I park.
The Purple Martin colony continues to be active, as I watched adults
bringing food to some chicks. 3 Chicks' heads peeking out of one gourd and
2 seen with heads out from another gourd. 4 Starlings sitting on top of
gourd tower.
On marsh: 4 ospreys on marsh-our male on his perch eating a fish, female on
nest with young; another male on mudflats eating a fish and another flying
with fish in its talons. 11 mute swans, 3 Snowy Egret, 1 Great Egret on
marsh.

On grounds and trails: American Robins are doing very well- there were 12
juveniles at the water feature, as well as 8 others on the grounds; 2
juvenile Common Grackles also at water feature. Singing Carolina Wren,
House wren, Ruby throated hummingbird had just left the feeder, 14
Mourning doves throughout the grounds.

The tree swallow young seem to have fledged.
On the Long Island sound side- Fiddler crabs everywhere!
9 Piping plovers including 2 chicks and 1 adult on nest, about 27 Least
Terns including 2 pairs- 1 pair with a chick. The chick went up to the
adult and was pushing against it as if begging for food. It then plopped
down several times into the sand. 6 American Oystercatchers including 2
chicks. The chicks followed the adults everywhere and would forage
wherever they saw the adults poking around. 4 Common Terns-2 may have been
on nest;
5 Great black backed gulls-1 I believe is a juvenile-having a very speckled
black and white back.
Also seen, 2 Woodchucks, and 1 vole.
Beverly Propen, Orange