Date: 7/7/20 5:10 pm
From: Patrick Baize <pkbaize...>
Subject: Re: [birders] Avian refugees

It sure would be interesting to see what they would grow up to be!!!!

Pat B. Howell, Michigan

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 06:08:54 PM EDT, 'Alice Elliott' via Birders <birders...> wrote:

Those are definitely not mourning doves. Far too big and stocky, plus the beak is too short and fat. Baby MODO beaks look just like pigeon beaks. I've attached some pictures of fledgling mourning doves; we get them all the time at the Bird Center, and I love them but they're sooooooo ugly (I mean that in the nicest possible way). Their face and neck feathers stick up everywhere like they are teenagers that just rolled out of bed. Your birds look look far too sleek to be MODOs!
I agree with Jack Smiley's assessment that they are more likely quail based on the beak and body shape. No idea what kind though. Too light and solid-colored for Bobwhites.

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 5:54 PM Jack Smiley <jackrsmiley...> wrote:

They look more like quail to me.  Not sure of the species, since many people seem to be raising different species/varieties these days.
On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 5:23 PM John Farmer <ajf-jlf...> wrote:

 During today's walk along Mooreville Road 1/2 mile NW of the Kroger store
in Milan, MI, I came upon this pair of cowering siblings.  They were about a
yard off the edge of the blacktop when my approach sent them off a few feet
in search of better cover.  I backed off and they regrouped in the little
depression that I'm guessing is a semblance of their recently abandoned
nursery, from which they were most likely forcibly evicted by a gust of wind
during yesterday's thunderstorm, a veritable hurricane for the little waifs.

When I snapped the pic, there was no doubt in my mind but that they were a
pair of young morning doves.  I still believe them to be that, but when I
cropped and enlarged their photo to better share it, I saw details that had
earlier escaped me -- the color difference between the two birds, the
shortness of the beaks, and the light colored centerlines on most of the
body feathers.  I assume the color difference is an artifact of the lighting
at the time, and am guessing that the unexpected beak and feather features
are simply indicators of immaturity, but never having looked this closely at
a recently fledged morning dove, I'm not certain of that appraisal.

Other opinions will be welcomed!

JF

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/000f01d654a4%24dfdb28a0%249f9179e0%<24...>