Date: 7/7/20 2:50 pm
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Mystery Song
FWIW...

After I posted this, I went to Xeno Canto and looked through the whole
library up to page 21 on the webpage. That's a lot of recordings. I opened
and played each recording that said "juvenile" or "begging." I did not find
any example that was even close to Kay Carter's mystery singer.

Has anyone explored Poorwill calls? I know, they're not supposed to be up
in a tree in Canby.

Soras are ventriloquists. I once stood on the road at Killin Wetlands
looking down on the fence line in flooded water. There was one thin strip
of grass. The bird was right THERE, right in front of me, in broad daylight
-- except it wasn't. The SOUND was THERE. The bird was
somewhere......else.

Paul Sullivan

Date: Mon Jul 6 2020 11:17 am
From: matthewghunter AT gmail.com

Regarding Kay Carter's mystery song.

That IS a tough one!!! I don't think it is a Hutton's Vireo or a Sora. It
has a thrush quality, and my first guess is an American Robin for whatever
reason doing a single note, but in between several of these notes I can
barely hear a little robin "laughter" or chuckles, consistently right after
the down-up call. The quality matches robin well. If it was in trees, robin
would make sense. A tough one, but that's my guess.

Matt Hunter
Umpqua Basin

Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!