Date: 7/6/20 12:02 pm
From: Cedar Stanistreet <thedancingfiddle...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Flycatcher puzzler
Hi all,

I’ve been following this with interest, and though I don’t have a strong opinion on this bird, I have a couple thoughts. To me, looking closely at the photo, the bill does look like it is slightly bicoloured. Not exactly yellow, but the lower mandible looks distinctly lighter than the upper. In general the bill looks light for Phoebe. Additionally, the bird just doesn’t seem right for a phoebe to me, something about the proportions and posture.
If this was in the west, I wouldn’t hesitate to call it a Western Wood-Pewee based on the posture, wing-bars, and face.
Since the habitat was right, I probably would lean towards Willow for this bird….

Cedar

Join us on Facebook!