Date: 7/5/20 8:35 pm
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Mystery Song
Kay,

Thank you for sending me the audio file, and the added information that there is a wetland with Red-winged Blackbirds.

I will say with firm conviction that this is a SORA, and not a Hutton's Vireo. It is two-noted and up-slurred. The initial note is longer. "pooo-WEEEP"

A Hutton's Vireo does a higher pitched, also up-slurred call, but shorter: "s'WEEEP , s'WEEEP. s'WEEEP"

I can imitate both species (I speak the language), and I've had conversations with both of them. I don't know what I'm saying, but I know what they sound like.

Paul Sullivan

------------------------

Subject: Re: Mystery Song
Date: Sun Jul 5 2020 16:43 pm
From: KayCarter001 AT outlook.com

I can confirm that the other call is, indeed Red-winged Blackbird. The recording was made on the edge of a small wetland that hosts them year-round.

Most responses have leaned towards Hutton�s Vireo, which is also on my list of possibilities. I�ve never heard one quite like this, but then I had an experience later the same day that emphasizes that identifying birds by ear alone is not always as reliable as we�d like. I�ll post about that shortly.

Subject: Mystery Song
Date: Sun Jul 5 2020 9:25 am
From: KayCarter001 AT outlook.com

I recorded the attached at about 8:00 AM on Thursday, 7/2, in Canby. I was never able to see the bird, which seemed to be deep in a group of curly willows. It called continuously for several minutes. I feel like I ought to be able to put a name to it, but I'm not having any success. Any suggestions? (I'm after the repeated 2-syllable "do-whit" call.)

Kay Carter

Canby

Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!