Date: 7/5/20 1:06 pm
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Lake County COFL
Hey Jack. I put Cordilleran Flycatcher on my life list w/in walking distance of Willow Creek campground. I'd love to get there every year . I don't believe it is possible to distinguish the species visually, in the field or in the hand. Vocalizations l heard in the Warner Mtns and a few weeks later around the town of La Grande were nothing like a PacSlope(a breeding species in my yard in Washington County). Recordings l made on my cell phone were much less distinctive sounding than what l actually heard.       I fail to see the logic in birders' ambivalence about the taxonomy. Sure, intergrades exist. But that is also the case with Sapsuckers in the same parts of Oregon. And anyone with a few hours in Tillamook County or downtown Portland on a winter day can't help but see hundreds of Olympic Gulls. Yet l've never encountered a serious suggestion to lump the Western and G-wing Gulls. Doing point counts in Union County l encountered four unequivocal COFL and two PSFL in about three hours. I'm sure there are plenty of ambivalent birds and had l encountered three or four of those in a row l might be cultivating different prejudices .Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Join us on Facebook!