Date: 7/4/20 1:22 pm
From: Charlie Nims <charlie.nims...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Boreal Bonanza Mt. Tremont
This morning I wanted to do a hike close to my place so I decided on Mt. Tremont in Barltett with its trailhead ~12 minutes from me. The Mt. Tremont trail is 2.8 miles to its peak at ~3400’ with an almost 2600’ vertical so it has some pitch.

As I neared the top, I saw two Boreal Chickadees. When i got to the small rocky ledge at the top with great views south over Sawyer Pond, to the Kanc and various mountains including the Tripyramids, I saw movement from a medium sized bird and as I got on it, to my surprise, it was a juvenile Canada Jay! To top it all of at the top, listening to the Swainson’s Thrushes, Yellow-rumped Warblers and Dark-eyed Juncos calling, I heard a different thrush call and realized it was a Bicknell’s . . . turned out it was ~30’ away perched at the top of a fir tree giving good bino looks. Additonally, among other species, I also had Blackpoll Warbler and a flock of ~5 Red Crossbills which I taped so will try to “Type” it. I had another group of crossbills which I think were White-winged but were just too distant to confirm.

Of course, this was my first hike all year when I did not have my camera with me (other than iPhone) . . . oh, well, great memories for this unusual 4th of July!! In the Mt. Washington Valley, who would have expected such an array of boreal birds on July 4th?

Charlie Nims
Bartlett, NH