Date: 6/30/20 6:53 am
From: Richard Littauer <richard.littauer...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Rare Bird Reports
To add to what has been said already:

Many of these reports have been coming from me. I've recently had a
wonderful time going through a list of most species in Vermont, and
figuring out which species are monotypic and which ones have subspecies.
The filters are set up differently by different reviewers: this means
that logging a Common Grackle (Bronzed) (/Quiscula quiscula versicolor/)
in Caledonia doesn't hit a flag, while logging one in Washington County
does. They're no less common in either place. Due to filters, however,
it's often the case that there are many more subspecies identifications
in counties without filters, as the checklist doesn't automatically
suggest the subspecies identification, as well. I've been curious to see
what subspecies have been seen in what counties. If I find a gap, I'll
often log one, the next time I'm there.

On a different level, one of the aspects of birding I am very interested
in is seeing birds in more detail. Learning how to identify subspecies -
when it is even possible in the field, which isn't always the case-
means I've had to really brush up on the morphology and coloration of
otherwise common birds. I spent a good 30 minutes looking at the House
Wrens <https://ebird.org/checklist/S70838320> I logged yesterday, as it
seemed that there was some light barring on the flanks, and as I
couldn't figure out whether the dorsal barring was evident or not in the
pictures I took. I know they were House Wrens; I know they were almost
certainly the /aedon/ subspecies given the geography, but it was a good
amount of fun proving it. If you look at the photos, you'll see some
very vaguely whitish feathers where the supercilium is; Northern House
Wrens shouldn't have a supercilium. I had to weigh that when deciding on
whether or not they really were that subspecies. It's a good amount of
fun. (It's also hard. I can't see red that well. When is rufescent
different from rufous? Who knows)

Another aspect of subspecies birding is checking what media is on eBird;
do we have a photo of our present subspecies, in Vermont? Do we have
audio recordings? If not, I've been going out and trying to get some.
Driving to Franklin to see Upland Sandpipers for my life list takes time
and planning and gas, which is why I haven't done it yet. But hopping
outside my door and walking twenty feet to take the first photo in the
state
<https://ebird.org/media/catalog?taxonCode=amerob1&mediaType=p&region=Vermont,%20United%20States%20(US)&regionCode=US-VT&q=American%20Robin%20(migratorius%20Group)%20-%20Turdus%20migratorius%20%5Bmigratorius%20Group%5D>of
a /Turdus migratorius migratorius /is almost as satisfying, and a whole
lot easier to do. (Fascinatingly, we also should have American Robins
from Newfoundland - /Turdus migratorius nigrideus/ - migrating through
in the fall; look for a Robin with a black mantle and a deep red breast!)

If you're interested, I have a large Google Sheet with all of the
information I've collected on subspecies in Vermont. You can see it,
here: https://birdinginvermont.com/subspecies/list. Due to the way that
the sheet is displayed, you can't see all of the Field Diagnostics
field. If anyone is interested, let me know if you'd like me to share
the original sheet with you, and I'd be happy to.

I'll slowly be adding each species to an individual page on
https://birdinginvermont.com, when I have the time. Birding is often
more fun than coding, so this progress is slow. Rewarding, though.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Richard

Join us on Facebook!