Date: 6/30/20 6:44 am
From: weatherbird58 <weatherbird58...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Red-breasted Nuthatch south of Boone
This morning, while communing with mosquitoes and sitting in a Wood Thrush
territory, I clearly heard a Red-breasted Nuthatch. It was within range
for a few minutes but I wasn't able to see it. It vocalized 3 times.

The area is on the north border of Ledges State Park in mixed deciduous
woods. However, there is a grove of mature cedars a couple hundred feet to
the west, and a pine plantation in the park is a quarter mile to the
southeast (where I frequently find RBNU in the winter).

The Wood Thrush territory has been in the same location for at least 3
weeks. I hear singing, and infrequently alarm calls from my yard. I was
hoping to find nesting evidence but no luck. I saw two birds briefly
interact, but couldn't confirm they were both Wood Thrush. Mosquito
netting doesn't make for optimum viewing!

Also present was a singing Scarlet Tanager, Great-crested Flycatcher, Pewee
and Eastern Towhee plus other common residents.

In the yard, the Carolina Wren pair just hatched a second brood in the same
nest in the same leaning empty flower pot as their first brood. They
disappeared downhill for a couple of weeks and snuck back to lay eggs.

Karl Jungbluth, 2 miles south of Boone.