Date: 6/29/20 6:39 pm
From: Zacheriah Cota-Weaver <zac...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Rare Bird Reports
Ruth,

All of the local eBird reviewers set their own filters based on county
levels. These filters allow reviewers to catch eBird observations that have
potential for data errors, such as rare or easily misidentified species.
The eBird needs alerts and rare bird alerts are based on observations
flagged by these filters. When you see common species showing up on these
lists, it is likely that a birder chose to report a subspecies that
triggered one of the filters. Most eBird reviewers have subspecies flagged
to ensure the proper written description or evidence is provided when
identifications are made to that taxonomic level.

Below I've linked an article about the review process that might help
further answer your question. It's one that I'm sure other eBirders have
had as well. Cheers!

Zac Cota
Washington County eBird Reviewer

https://support.ebird.org/en/support/solutions/articles/48000795278-the-ebird-review-process