Date: 6/29/20 12:31 pm
From: Michael Zerr <zerrmick...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Dewey
Folks, just a note that the MCCD has placed a new gate on the main trail
entrance to Dewey Gevik. SFBC had repaired the old one a few times, so we
are happy the new one is up. Along the entrance rail, the Mulberries are
ripening, so the many Mulberry trees on the south side of the trail are
drawing a few species of birds. Good looks at Cedar Waxwings. We also are
putting up temporary No Firework signs, as we have done for a few years. A
reminder, if you have not yet, to join eBird <https://ebird.org/>so you can
record your Dewey Gevik sightings so we can have a good record of the species
seen there. <https://ebird.org/hotspot/L773616> Present bird species count
is 173.
Also, if you see other natural wonders, whether they be flowers, mammals,
reptiles, etc. you can report those on *inaturalist,* another *free*
reporting and recording site that also helps with identification.
https://www.inaturalist.org/
Using these two citizen science sites are fun and productive; two things we
all need during these times of pandemic restrictions. If you have a
favorite birding spot, anywhere, both these citizen science programs allow
for location reporting, thus you can see the species count for any state
park, lake, county, etc. (example, Brown County has 317 bird species
reported by 2809 checklists submitted, Pennington County has 296
species reported by 11,858 checklists submitted, Hughes County has 327
species reported on 2418 submitted checklists, and Minnehaha has 284
species reported on 10,105 checklists.) See the attached chart for the top
10 counties. SD has 409 species recorded on ebird, with 88,472 check lists
entered.
A friendly reminder. The year is half over, yet some folks have forgotten
to renew their SDOU or SFBC memberships; (understandable with the virus
situation). Please do so on the SDOU website <http://sdou.org>or SFBC
website <http://www.siouxfallsbirdclub.org>.

Stay Well
Mick Zerr