Date: 6/29/20 7:53 am
From: Jeff Calhoun <jeffcalhoun11...>
Subject: Re: Pine Warbler
It is bizarre timing for sure. This bird was on the pale side. Not totally
gray, but pretty drab. Honestly if it had not been seen creeping in the
neighbor’s pine tree I would have probably not identified it. My brain
needed that context clue to start connecting the dots!! I just don’t see a
lot of them.

Other food for thought: There have been some summers and falls when Pine
Warblers meander west after breeding. There have been quasi invasion years,
like the late summer and fall 2012. It seems unlikely and early, but who
knows. If I leave my home to go birding, I’ll probably be checking some
pine trees now through Labor Day.

Jeff Calhoun
Dodge City, KS

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 8:52 AM Chuck Otte <cotte...> wrote:

> The Pine Warbler breeding range includes eastern 1/5 of Oklahoma and
> southern 1/4 of Missouri but just misses Kansas - likely the edge of the
> native pines. It is really hard to say but probably you got it for the
> same
> reason that Tom Shane has had a Northern Parula in Garden City. Not sure
> what the weather has been in Dodge City but during the month of June we've
> had some strong easterly winds here in Geary County and that could
> displace birds and move them west.
>
> Chuck
>
> -----
> Chuck Otte <cotte...>
> County Extension Agent, Ag & Natural Resources
> Geary County Extension Office, PO BOX 28 785-238-4161
> Junction City, Kansas 66441-0028 FAX 785-238-7166
> http://www.geary.ksu.edu/

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to
mailto:<ksbird-l-request...>