Date: 6/28/20 8:26 am
From: Ben Davis <bendavis2...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Puffins?
Yes, the Tufted Puffins are still being seen at Haystack Rock at Cannon
Beach, as of yesterday Jun 27.

I was there yesterday to pick up one for my life list. From all the places
I looked, I couldn't make them out visibly on the actual rock face. One of
the volunteers there said they nest in burrows under the grass on the NNE
or North-facing side, nearly at the top of the main Haystack Rock. She
recommended just looking for them in flight. Even with several dozen
(hundreds?) Common Murre flying over each minute, it only took about 5
minutes to pick out a few Puffins. Getting pictures of them in flight was
tough, especially at Mid-day with the sun nearly backlighting them.

A morning trip might yield the best light for looking at them from the
beach. Lower tide will make it easier to get closer to the rock for better
views.

There were thousands of tourists, so parking was much as it has been in
years past. It didn't look like a Covid-wary area.

Checklist and picture here:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S70888990

Join us on Facebook!