Date: 6/28/20 5:30 am
From: Mitchell Harrison <000002ef5c1f1853-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Help! Dead Bluebirds
I have a bluebird box on my property that has an opening at the top front just under the roof line. It's not really a whole it's a narrow opening that runs the width of the box. There are bluebird's nesting in it right now and they are feeding the chicks. The house wrens and tree swallows choose other boxes.
On Tuesday, June 23, 2020, 09:54:48 PM EDT, Richard Guthrie <richardpguthrie...> wrote:

Years ago some guy in Wisconsin designed a bluebird nest box with a hole in the top. This worked for the bluebirds and kept the House Sparrows away. He said he was inspired by bluebirds that nested in fence posts out his way. I can’t recall if that was the entrance hole or a “skylight “ hole. But he said that the rain didn’t bother the bluebirds.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 23, 2020, at 6:52 PM, David Starrett <starrettda...> wrote:
>
> In Missouri I had constant battles with House Sparrows that killed bluebird clutches.  Bluebird parents sometimes lost the battle defending their young.  We tried all the sparrow deterrents, but I finally took the boxes down.  I once witnessed a sparrow sitting on a feeder 20 feet away, watching for the bluebird parent to leave the box, then shoot like a bullet straight across the yard into the box and had murdered the clutch in less than 2 minutes, ejecting some of the young.  Was really disturbing to see nature in the raw.
>
> Dave

> David Starrett
> Keene, NH

Join us on Facebook!