Date: 6/28/20 3:10 am
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Sauvie Parula, Scio BBS
Saturday's eBird synopsis includes multiple detections of NOPA(going and coming) by Tyler Hallman and Whitney Fleming on the Warrior Point Trail at Sauvie Island. This is a much shorter chase for many of us than the bird at Coos North Spit. I don't know if " vagrant" is the proper descriptor of Northern Parulas in coastal Baja Oregon anymore. There was a singing NOPA on the Coos N Spit in summer another year not long ago, and multiple such records in Del Norte County. Despite spending two thirds of my life in the Portland area l have never walked the Warrior Point Trail. It starts at the end of Reeder Road(the east/ Columbia coast of Sauvie) . Warrior Point is the northern tip of the island, the northern end of the Multnomah Channel and hence the bitter end of the Willamette  River.      The Breeding Bird Survey (BBS)is a US Fish and Wildlife Service program. At one point it was the only comprehensive effort by USF&WS to monitor songbird populations.  One route exists for each rectangle defined by a degree of latitude and longitude. A three minute point count is made every half mile for 25 miles. I did the Scio route described by Joel in 1981. At the Union Hill Cemetary l detected Western Kingbird. I have detected the species within 5-10 miles of there in June/July repeatedly over the decades. 1977 was the first time. My visits to Marion County are few so the species must be fairly regular there in summer. On the 1981 survey l saw a Townsend's Warbler singing on top of an oak where the highway goes under the powerline a few stops south of Mehama. The next stop , on the grade descending to Mehama , yielded a Red-eyed Vireo. The western foothills of the Cascades receive very little attention from birders. My own very limited efforts have always been highly rewarding.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Join us on Facebook!