Date: 6/27/20 11:23 am
From: Walter Medwid <wmedwid...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Recreation trail mowing
The Newport Derby recreation trail was just mowed and the mower was also
used on an articulating arm to trim trees,brush and hedges along the trail
edges. The timing couldn’t have been worse with birds nesting, wildflowers
blooming, and turtle nests warming.
All this is done annually to keep vegetation at bay. In this case the
maintenance is done by VT’s Agency of Transportation whom I’ve contacted to
understand why the work is done at peak season rather than at the end of
season where environmental impacts would be less. Birders may want to see
when their trails are managed and encourage work to be done as late as
possible to allow for maximum biological production in our short seasons.
Forgive me if this message violates protocol.

Join us on Facebook!