Date: 6/26/20 3:14 pm
From: <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] Midvalley Birding list is down due to server problems
Hi all,

Unfortunately this won't reach all 500+ subscribers on the Midvalley Birding list, but for those of you who are subscribers:

The server that hosts the list is down, due to a disk failure. This also affects the BirdNotes database.

Don Baccus has hosted both of these for many years, pro bono, on a server that he originally built for BirdNotes in the early 2000s, so it's been getting up there in the years. The server is at a remote location ("server farm") and it looks like the issue will require physical access to the machine.

It may take some time to bring BirdNotes back up on a second machine, as the first priority. If setting up a new server proves expensive, it might make sense to "retire" the Midvalley Birding list as many subscribers are also on the Mid-Valley Nature list. In recent months, many postings have been duplicated to both lists. I'll post more when I have more information.

Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis

Join us on Facebook!