Date: 6/26/20 9:10 am
From: Patricia Valdata <pvaldata1...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Red-headed Woodpecker
We're enjoying having a Red-headed Woodpecker in the yard (YB#107). It
arrived, or at least started vocalizing, about a week ago. And it's very
vocal!

It's also a very active bird, flying from tree to tree in our immediate
neighborhood, So far I've spotted it in the pines and the honey locusts in
our yard, and in our neighbor's Bradford pear (sigh). I've heard it in
other trees across the street, too. Earlier today I saw it venture across
the 500-foot-wide creek to the trees on the shore. It's also been on the
ground a few times, like a Flicker.

I've seen migrating Red-headed Woodpeckers many times at Turkey Point, and
one year we had a juvenile at our feeder in Elkton for an entire winter.
But this is my first close encounter with an adult in summer. Fun bird!

Pat Valdata
Crisfield, Somerset County