Date: 6/26/20 6:15 am
From: <angela......> <angela.battle...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Re: Neal Smith NWR
I live in southern Iowa on a modest two acres surrounded by alfalfa fields.
For weeks I heard Northern Bobwhite close and far down in my field and
closer to the house and then farther again, moving back and forth in what
seemed to be a defined territory. Every morning, every evening, and even
during the day, Bobwhite called and sang. Last Tuesday the alfalfa field
was mowed down and I have not heard Northern Bobwhite since, not once, even
as I listen and listen and hope. I walked the road the next morning and
also saw two pairs of Bobolink clearly displaced by the mowing of their
nests. This is the reality out here.