Date: 6/25/20 8:49 pm
From: Nagi Aboulenein <nagi.aboulenein...>
Subject: [obol] Birds of South/Central Oregon
Hello OBOLites -

Taghrid and I made a long weekend visit to some new-to-us birding spots over the past weekend. We visited Cabin Lake Bird Blinds, Summer Lake as well as some familiar spots in the Klamath Basin.

At Cabin Lake, we had a brief, but close and personal encounter with a Pinyon Jay, a lifer for both of us. Golden Eagle, Cassin’s Finch, Red Crossbill, Pygmy Nuthatch, Clark’s Nutcracker, Lewis’ Woodpecker, Northern Flickers and Mountain Bluebirds also made appearances.

At Putnam’s Point we got to see Grebe-loads of the cutest Grebe babies (some Western, some Clark’s, and some hybrid judging by their parents). A big and unexpected bonus for us were the three rushes that we got to see there - many times more magnificent to see that spectacle for the first time in real life instead of on a big screen. A morning trip to Lava Beds NM and Captain Jack’s Stronghold led to an brief but wonderful interlude with 3 Common Nighthawks (two in deep slumber, and one cruising through the area at high speed).

On to Summer Lake, which, too was great - no new species, but plenty of great birds in crisp and bright breeding plumage, with some species already busily feeding their offsprings: American Avocets (no young ones yet, though plenty of nesting in evidence), Pied-billed Grebes (most with young ones), Cliff Swallows, Barn Swallows, Bank Swallows, Violet-Green Swallows and Tree Swallows, Song Sparrow, Savannah Sparrow, Brewer’s Sparrow, American White Pelicans, American Bittern, Ring-billed Gull, California Gull, Double-crested Cormorant, Forster’s Tern, Caspian Tern, Sage Thrasher, Black-necked Stilts, Sandhill Cranes (with 1 colt), Wilson’s Phalarope (with two chicks), a lone Snowy Plover, many Yellow-headed Blackbirds, uncountable Red-winged and Brewer’s Blackbirds, Killdeer, Horned Lark, Short-eared Owl, Western Wood-pewee and Dusky Flycatcher.

Photos from the trip: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmP4LDQJ

Good birding,

Nagi & Taghrid

Join us on Facebook!