Date: 6/25/20 7:42 pm
From: <birdmarymoor...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Marymoor Park (Redmond, King Co.) 2020-06-25
Tweets – We had a very nice morning for our walk today. As usual for this time of year, not many surprises, except for a few seasonally unusual birds. But all in all, a pretty good day.

Highlights:
a.. Wood Ducks – three clutches of ducklings
b.. Mallard – FIVE clutches of ducklings
c.. Virginia Rail – one responded to clapping briefly from across the slough
d.. American Coot – lone bird remains near Lake Platform
e.. Great Blue Heron – first week seeing apparent juveniles out of the nest and along the slough
f.. Green Heron – one flew up the slough
g.. Osprey – birds at both nests, 6-8 birds total
h.. Barn Owl – Matt had one in the East Meadow prior to 4:30 a.m.
i.. Western Screech-Owl – Matt had one near the east end of the boardwalk before 4:30 a.m.
j.. Pileated Woodpecker – one heard just after 5:30 a.m. Not at all common in June
k.. Bullock’s Oriole – First-year and full adult males seen
l.. Orange-crowned Warbler – Matt heard one pre-dawn; we may have seen another along the edge of the Dog Meadow
m.. Wilson’s Warbler – Male singing and seen at Rowing Club; first ever for Week 26
n.. Lazuli Bunting – our best estimate was 3-4 males, 2-3 females, with the higher value probable for both
o.. INDIGO BUNTING – singing male continues in the trees and shrubs in the spirea area in the center of the Dog Meadow
Below the weir, a COYOTE on the far shore caused the Mallards to sound like a synchronized chorus of bullfrogs. They were definitely concerned.

At the Rowing Club, a TOWNSEND’S MOLE tried desperately to burrow into the edge of the gravel path as we approached. It refused an attempt to guide it to softer ground.

And we had at least a dozen EUROPEAN COTTONTAIL.

For the day, 64 species of bird.

= Michael Hobbs
= www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
= <BirdMarymoor...>