Date: 6/25/20 6:28 pm
From: Lee Schoenewe <lschoe...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Grr-8 Big Sioux River foray
Yesterday Joe Jungers and I worked the Big Sioux River corridor in Sioux and
Lyon counties. At Oak Grove Park we had both cuckoos, Bell's Vireo,
Red-breasted Nuthatch and at least two Wood Thrush.

At Blood Run in Lyon County we had a pair of Grey Partridge, Henslow's
Sparrow, Clay-colored Sparrow and nesting Eastern Meadowlarks. Two
Clay-coloreds counter singing were at Hidden Bridge and there were lots of
towhees heard. A number of Grasshopper Sparrows were heard by Joe in the
Big Sioux River complex and I believed him! I tried to turn an immature
male Orchard Oriole in poor light into a Bullock's but in good light we
realized my error as he, two females and an adult male fought over good
territory. We talked about Loggerhead Shrikes and YB Chats but they either
did not hear us or didn't want us to know they were there.

We have only added three species so far in June to the Big Year but we have
such a good list that all the easy ones are already on it! May the second
half of this year produce some good and unusual additional surprises!

Lee A Schoenewe

Spencer

_____

<https://home.mcafee.com/utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-e
mail&utm_content=emailclient?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=s
ig-email&utm_content=emailclient> Scanned by McAfee
<https://home.mcafee.com/utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-e
mail&utm_content=emailclient?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=s
ig-email&utm_content=emailclient> and confirmed virus-free.