Date: 6/24/20 12:33 pm
From: Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] [SPAM?:*******] - June 24, 2020: Coyote Hollow, Thetford Center
4:02 a.m. 68 degrees, wind SSE 3 mph, air thick rough to slice. Rain
imminent (I hope). Sky: dark and brooding, slowly awakening lumen by lumen;
in the east, a hot orange glow precedes the sun. A cadre of fireflies:
over pasture and pond, through the woods; one wanders around the perimeter
of a coltsfoot leaf, others crawl on the ground and the lawn; staggered
flashes of cold incandescence, bits of moonlight on the softness of
beetles. Species recognized by duration and pattern of repetitive,
repeatable blinks. I recognize nothing of their individual identities . . .
just the beauty of soft-bodied phosphorescence.

It's an altogether different world when curtains are drawn. Ears like
parabolas, dogs gather information; know so much more than I do. First
woodland birds singing: ovenbird and red-eyed vireo; both constrained.
First wetlands birds singing: yellowthroat and swamp sparrow. A subdued
hermit thrush and a pair of veeries set fireflies to music. The pond comes
alive: bullfrogs sonorous belches, masculine and off-key; green frogs loose
twang, feminine and expressive; plops of unseen frogs retreating from the
shoreline. Tadpoles gulp air and leave bubbles.

I haven't heard the bittern in weeks and turkeys have stopped performing;
poults, a third the hen's size, already fly. Immature red-shouldered hawks
have joined their parents a thousand feet in the sky, inscribing great
aerial circles above the wetlands.
A female luna moth lies on the stone steps; her gracious green wings and
streaming tails a banner of late June, her body empty . . . of everything.
Like a battery or a rock n' roller, adult luna moths survive on the charge
of youth. No food. No drink. No digestive system. No excretory system. Just
a package of eggs or sperm encased in a tube of white pubescence, the most
gorgeous moth imaginable. Females inscribe night currents with pheromones;
from miles away, males read the message with large, feathery antennae. Luna
moth, enormous and gorgeous, a bit player in the high drama of the season.

Summer may have just started but the wheel of season spins more like Dog
Days than graduation days.

Join us on Facebook!