Date: 6/23/20 6:54 pm
From: Richard Guthrie <richardpguthrie...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Help! Dead Bluebirds
Years ago some guy in Wisconsin designed a bluebird nest box with a hole in the top. This worked for the bluebirds and kept the House Sparrows away. He said he was inspired by bluebirds that nested in fence posts out his way. I can’t recall if that was the entrance hole or a “skylight “ hole. But he said that the rain didn’t bother the bluebirds.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 23, 2020, at 6:52 PM, David Starrett <starrettda...> wrote:
>
> In Missouri I had constant battles with House Sparrows that killed bluebird clutches. Bluebird parents sometimes lost the battle defending their young. We tried all the sparrow deterrents, but I finally took the boxes down. I once witnessed a sparrow sitting on a feeder 20 feet away, watching for the bluebird parent to leave the box, then shoot like a bullet straight across the yard into the box and had murdered the clutch in less than 2 minutes, ejecting some of the young. Was really disturbing to see nature in the raw.
>
> Dave

> David Starrett
> Keene, NH

Join us on Facebook!