Date: 6/23/20 4:14 pm
From: Veer Frost <0000038039fb4cf6-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Help! Dead Bluebirds
These nestbox gore-stories are certainly difficult to hear about. (esp
after Ian Clark's beautiful series of videos)...my thought is whether
the historic relentless de-foresting and industrial farming of the
land possibly played a role in, or intensified, the development of
ferocious nesting site competitive behaviors over time. I mean, is it
pure nature or are we also part of the causality chain?Thank you, Veer
Frost, Passumpsic

On 6/23/2020 at 6:53 PM, "David Starrett" wrote:In Missouri I had
constant battles with House Sparrows that killed bluebird clutches.
Bluebird parents sometimes lost the battle defending their young. We
tried all the sparrow deterrents, but I finally took the boxes down.
I once witnessed a sparrow sitting on a feeder 20 feet away, watching
for the bluebird parent to leave the box, then shoot like a bullet
straight across the yard into the box and had murdered the clutch in
less than 2 minutes, ejecting some of the young. Was really
disturbing to see nature in the raw.

Dave

David Starrett
Keene, NH