Date: 6/23/20 11:46 am
From: B B <birder4184...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Grant County Burrowing Owls
I ventured to Grant County yesterday looking for Burrowing Owls.  They have been reported somewhat recently along Highway 17, along Hatchery Road heading into Rocky Ford and near Rocky Ford.  I had a nice stop first at Bullfrog Pond and nearby Wood Duck Road finding the usual suspects.  I was approaching the "target area" a bit after 9 and my phone GPS took me along what I thought was a bit of an indirect way taking Road A off of Highway 283 and then to Road 9 and then to Highway 17 before turning onto Hatchery Road.
It turned out to be a fortuitous change as I found NO Burrowing Owls along Hatchery Road or at Rocky Ford but found SIX (6) along the way.  The first one was on a telephone wire along Road 9 just before reaching Dodson Road.  (It was at the same place when I returned several hours later).  The next one was on a rock outcropping at the intersection of Road A and Road 12.3.  (It, too, was on the same outcropping when I retraced steps heading home).
Then on Highway 17 a photographer was looking at a burrow nest where there were three Burrowing Owls - adult and two young.  A very brief look only.  They were not evident during a 20 minute wait on my return.
The last one was also on Highway 17 (47.308, -119.479) on the opposite side from the burrow nest.
This is significantly more Burrowing Owls than I have ever seen in a day...must be like Khanh Tranh feels every day .
At Rocky Ford I heard a Sora and heard 2 or 3 Virginia Rails with a decent photo of one.
Blair Bernson