Date: 6/23/20 11:32 am
From: Ken Copenhaver <copenhvr...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Help! Dead Bluebirds
Yes, House Wrens can be nasty. Some years ago I cleaned out a nest box in
the fall and found it full of sticks, typical of a House Wren nest. But
under the sticks was a Tree Swallow nest with dead baby Tree Swallows still
in it. The House Wrens didn't get the Good Housekeeping seal of approval
that year!

--Ken Copenhaver

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 2:14 PM Brennan Michaels <owlhousevt...>
wrote:

> This spring we had fledglings ready to fledge and we believe a house wren
> went in and killed them.
> They have done this before. I have come to dislike these cute little birds
> a great deal. They also destroyed a chckadee nest with 7 babies that both
> male and female chickadee were busy feeding.
> You would thunk there would be a sign of violence unless the male protected
> them. The female is now alone without a mate? We have a phoebe who has no
> mate and her nest was destroyed by a red squirrel and we have no idesa what
> happened to his/her mate just that it is all alone calling "phoebe, phoebe"
> often. After this sping/summer I can't imagine how ny birds make it at all.
> Also we now have two adult male robins hopping all over our lawn.
> hope you find out this mystery. so tragic.
> Brennan Michaels Salisbury, VT
>
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 1:41 PM Martha Pfeiffer <
> <0000001a1bef7484-dmarc-request...> wrote:
>
> > A friend of mine went to clean out the Bluebird box from this first
> > nesting. He hadn't seen any activity in more than a few days. What was
> > inside the box was a male bird = dead - and all the hatchlings were dead.
> > I have photo. The female was busy feeding until recently. There is no
> > sign of disturbance of the nest, no feathers strewn around, nothing
> violent
> > occurred, The male is fully intact. I have a photo. Please, any ideas
> > what could have happened to this family of Bluebirds?Disease??
> > What???Thanks for any response.
> >

> > Martha Pfeiffer, Dorset

Join us on Facebook!