Date: 6/23/20 10:12 am
From: Brandon Caswell <brandon.caswell83...>
Subject: [ia-bird] more NC Iowa
Birders,

Arrived at Pilot Knob SP at open (4am) this morning with the hopes hearing
a whip-poor-will. Wasn’t expecting to find one and didn’t. Next drove up to
Rice Lake SP, but nothing notable there on the water. First time I’ve ever
birded the lake and didn’t realize how big it was. Heat rise was a problem
so may have missed something. Also had to reassemble my eBird list into two
when I realized the lake is basically split down the middle by the county
line. Probably a good thing for county listers though!

Found singing Clay-colored Sparrows in the SE corner of Winnebago County
(between 365th and 375th) off Apple Avenue. Also had one at the SW corner
of 340th/Apple Ave (it was in Hancock Co. but heard it right across the
road west from Prairie Pothole WA in Cerro Gordo). Last year I had one
immediately east of this area in Cerro Gordo, so it seems they might be
breeding in the vicinity of where all these counties meet. Possibly more
widespread? One cool thing was every field I had CCSP I also had
Grasshopper and Henslow’s. Henslow’s are fairly abundant in Hancock Co. in
proper habitat, it seems.

Went back to Pilot Knob:
-Veery singing by tower (traditional breeding spot)
-at least two Acadian Flycatchers south of Pilot Knob Lake along Lake View
Trail, thanks Betty Lucas for that tip 😊
-Pileated Woodpecker, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Up to 189 in Hancock Co. now and can’t find a Green Heron or House Finch
for the life of me. 😕

Brandon Caswell
Marion