Date: 6/23/20 8:39 am
From: Ken Copenhaver <copenhvr...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Downy Behavior
From Birds of the World:

"Infrequently, will perch motionless, clinging to a vertical stem, bill
pointing nearly straight upward as if in a trance for several minutes to
nearly half an hour...before resuming normal foraging. Whether this is rest
or a response to a potential predator near is not clear."

I have observed this "torpor" state many times at my feeders, sometimes for
many minutes, when there was no apparent predator and other birds do not
seem to be alarmed. In the winter, I thought perhaps they were just
conserving energy.

--Ken Copenhaver

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 8:53 AM maevulus <maevulus...> wrote:

> On 2020-06-22 21:58, R Stewart wrote:
> > Or could it mean there is a raptor in the area? Better yet... why
> > would a
> > Downey cling to a suet feeder and feed the 'kid' who is right there at
> > the
> > feeder too?? DO it yourself, child!
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 4:15 PM Martha Pfeiffer <
> > <0000001a1bef7484-dmarc-request...> wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone know why the Downy will posture upright at the feeder and
> >> remain statuesque for awhile? I've also seen the hairy display such
> >> behavior though not as frequently as the Downy.
> >>
> >> Martha Pfeiffer, Dorset
> >>
> We were fascinated by Downy behavior this morning, too. The female came
> to the pole where suet used to hang and looked - we thought - highly
> perplexed that it wasn't there. She pecked at the pole a few times, and
> then she flew to a nearby hummingbird feeder and spent almost two
> minutes taking rapid sips. "If I can't have my fat, at least I'll get
> some sugar!"
> Maeve Kim, Jericho Center

Join us on Facebook!