Date: 6/23/20 5:53 am
From: maevulus <maevulus...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Downy Behavior
On 2020-06-22 21:58, R Stewart wrote:
> Or could it mean there is a raptor in the area? Better yet... why
> would a
> Downey cling to a suet feeder and feed the 'kid' who is right there at
> the
> feeder too?? DO it yourself, child!
>
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 4:15 PM Martha Pfeiffer <
> <0000001a1bef7484-dmarc-request...> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know why the Downy will posture upright at the feeder and
>> remain statuesque for awhile? I've also seen the hairy display such
>> behavior though not as frequently as the Downy.
>>
>> Martha Pfeiffer, Dorset

We were fascinated by Downy behavior this morning, too. The female came
to the pole where suet used to hang and looked - we thought - highly
perplexed that it wasn't there. She pecked at the pole a few times, and
then she flew to a nearby hummingbird feeder and spent almost two
minutes taking rapid sips. "If I can't have my fat, at least I'll get
some sugar!"
Maeve Kim, Jericho Center

Join us on Facebook!