Date: 6/22/20 11:03 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: swallows?
I've been watching swallows nesting at my place for 40+ years. Their
numbers have greatly declined over this period. At one point there were
barn, tree, VG.
The tree dropped out first, then the barn, leaving VGs in decline. Here
is the pattern I see for VGs (and perhaps the others but there are none to
observe).
They show up with 'good weather days' i.e. no rain, and start
investigating our many birdhouses. if good weather persists they commence
nest building, etc.
In good years young are produced. In most years a multiday rainy period
occurs, and after some days they simply abandon the nest and don't nest
that year.
That happened again this year, but, as Darrel says, with the good weather
of recent days they are flying around the nests again, which had been
partially built.
It's still early in the nesting period, so likely enough time to be
successful. We live about 1/4 mile from the Clackamas River and the
riverine area undoubtedly provides lots of insects, maybe even during rainy
periods. Our swallows could and probably do feed there, but nevertheless
prolonged rainy periods terminate nesting. I'm not suggesting this
phenomenon occurs elsewhere but it certainly happens here. Perhaps
swallows nesting in other areas are successful every year weather
notwithstanding?. ,

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 12:22 PM <t4c1x...> wrote:

> Has anyone else noticed a recent reduction in swallows? A few weeks ago
> there were about six or eight pairs apparently preparing to nest here at
> Thornton Creek, (Lincoln), but now there are only a couple pair each of
> Barn Swallows and Violet-greens. It could be that the females are sitting
> on eggs, but it looks more like some birds simply left the area. It stayed
> cold and wet here right up to the end of last week, and I wonder if some of
> the birds just departed to more suitable places.
>
> Darrel

Join us on Facebook!