Date: 6/22/20 7:47 pm
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Saw-whet Owl at Luckiamute Landing
Today was the first day of the regularly scheduled monthly three day bird banding session at Luckiamute Landing State Natural Area. A juvenile Saw-whet Owl was captured at net site 5 during the 6:50am net run. A new species for the banding program at Luckiamute Landing state natural area  which has run intermittently since 2013 when 30,000 bushes were planted.       Just where the Owl hatched we' ll probably never know. But a NSWO was actively tooting at my house in Washington  County in late April about 10 years ago. My guess is today's Owl fledged no more than 8 weeks ago and as little as four. I spent decades thinking of NSWO as a conifer obligate. But the territorial owl at our house was defending an area dominated by maple and alder and never detected in the dense Douglas-firs nearby.      The hybrid poplar plantations near Boardman( true desert, elevation 300 feet) supported a large breeding population of Saw-whets after nest boxes were installed.  It also had a substantial population of breeding Least Flycatchers. Net site 5 at Luckiamute Landing was where l detected a Least Flycatcher the first week of May this year. What satisfies a bird's needs, what truly constitutes its niche, is a mighty mystery indeed. Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Join us on Facebook!