Date: 6/21/20 2:51 pm
From: Teresa Hertzel <teresa.hertzel...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Oregon Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

Common Goldeneye (1 Union)
Clark's Grebe (1 Tillamook)
Band-tailed Pigeon (1 Klamath)
Allen's Hummingbird (1 Curry)
Western Sandpiper (1 Lake)
Mew Gull (1 Lincoln)
Sharp-shinned Hawk (1 Washington)
Red-naped Sapsucker (2 Deschutes)
Least Flycatcher (1 Wheeler)
Pacific-slope Flycatcher (2 Umatilla)
Ash-throated Flycatcher (2 Multnomah)
Eastern Kingbird (1 Crook)
Red-eyed Vireo (5 Jackson)
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (1 Lane)
Veery (4 Deschutes)
Swainson's Thrush (Olive-backed) (2 Union)
Yellow-breasted Chat (1 Klamath, 2 Tillamook)
Orange-crowned Warbler (orestera) (1 Umatilla)
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) (2 Gilliam)
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (3 Jackson)
Lazuli Bunting (1 Tillamook)

eBird encourages our users to bird safely, responsibly, and mindfully.
Please follow the recommendations of your local health authorities and
respect any active travel restrictions in your area. For more information
visit: https://ebird.org/news/please-bird-mindfully

Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) (2)
- Reported Jun 21, 2020 09:27 by Sean Cozart
- Thief Valley Reservoir (Union Co.), Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.0229344,-117.785368&ll=45.0229344,-117.785368
- Comments: "Really surprised! Near the dam, we observed a male and female
swimming along the cliffs. Male had bright green head sheen due to great
lighting and very bold round cheek spot. Though I'm not sure how rare they
really are in Union Co summer since I did see the mother and ducklings on
Jubliee Lake a few years back. But down here at Thief Valley, definitely a
shocker. Very distance pics."

Clark's Grebe (Aechmophorus clarkii) (1)
- Reported Jun 21, 2020 11:34 by Wink Gross
- Beach House, Tillamook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.252877,-123.966628&ll=45.252877,-123.966628
- Comments: "Pale back, whitish flanks. White on face over eye. Yellow
bill."

Band-tailed Pigeon (Patagioenas fasciata) (3) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 17, 2020 08:22 by Gerry Hill
- Topsy Grade Rd, Keno US-OR (42.0258,-122.0947), Klamath, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.025838,-122.0947&ll=42.025838,-122.0947
- Comments: "Large pigeon with gray white band on the end of its tail.
White line above the nape with the gray purpleish hue overall. One flew
into the tree where we can see the yellow bill with black tip"

Allen's Hummingbird (Selasphorus sasin) (1)
- Reported Jun 21, 2020 14:23 by Rick Williams
- Harris Beach SP, Curry, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.068482,-124.3106461&ll=42.068482,-124.3106461
- Comments: "Observed courtship display several times in front of B42
campsite. Pendulum J shape display back and fro 3-4 times with bzzzzzz at
lowest point. Very different than stuttering Rufous display sound."

Western Sandpiper (Calidris mauri) (2)
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 18:05 by David Mandell
- Summer Lake Wildlife Area, Lake, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.950819,-120.7639503&ll=42.950819,-120.7639503
- Comments: "Adults."

Mew Gull (Larus canus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 18, 2020 08:25 by Heather Fulton-Bennett
- Ona Beach SP, Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.5213563,-124.0740108&ll=44.5213563,-124.0740108
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "On beach at rivermouth"

Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus) (1)
- Reported Jun 21, 2020 12:11 by Nels Nelson
- Commonwealth Lake Park, Washington, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.5119108,-122.8098106&ll=45.5119108,-122.8098106
- Comments: "Photos"

Red-naped Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus nuchalis)
- Reported Jun 21, 2020 11:20 by Joe Horrell
- 13030 Hawksbeard Road, Sisters, Oregon, US (44.374, -121.661), Deschutes,
Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.3738998,-121.6609021&ll=44.3738998,-121.6609021
- Comments: "Removed"

Red-naped Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus nuchalis) (1)
- Reported Jun 21, 2020 11:29 by David Mandell
- Indian Ford Campground, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.357242,-121.6104126&ll=44.357242,-121.6104126
- Comments: "No signs of hybridization"

Least Flycatcher (Empidonax minimus) (1)
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 08:30 by Bill Bradford
- 15668 Winlock Lane, Fossil, Oregon, US (44.885, -120.03), Wheeler, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.8850639,-120.0302627&ll=44.8850639,-120.0302627
- Comments: "Chebek call"

Pacific-slope Flycatcher (Empidonax difficilis) (1)
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 11:07 by Jack Maynard
- Cable Ck Rd, Pilot Rock US-OR 45.15511, -118.84022, Umatilla, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.155106,-118.840219&ll=45.155106,-118.840219
- Comments: "Heard distinctly calling at the intersection of Cable Cr Rd
and Hideaway Spring rd. Recorded call and will upload it ASAP. Clear high
“Ju-weep” not a Peewee, though we did hear one also."

Pacific-slope Flycatcher (Empidonax difficilis) (1)
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 11:07 by Kelli Van Norman
- Cable Ck Rd, Pilot Rock US-OR 45.15511, -118.84022, Umatilla, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.155106,-118.840219&ll=45.155106,-118.840219
- Comments: "Heard distinctly calling at the intersection of Cable Cr Rd
and Hideaway Spring rd. Recorded call and will upload it ASAP. Clear high
“Ju-weep” not a Peewee, though we did hear one also."

Ash-throated Flycatcher (Myiarchus cinerascens) (1)
- Reported Jun 21, 2020 08:38 by Ezra Cohen
- Oaks Bottom Wildlife Refuge, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.4776166,-122.6553154&ll=45.4776166,-122.6553154
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "First observed by Ezra Cohen. Perched low in bare shrub at
north end of meadow. Large Flycatcher with prominent, peaked crest.
Rufous wing coverts and undertail coverts. Light colored breast. Overall
gray upper parts. Pic. At the N. end of the South Meadow in the shrub
patch."

Ash-throated Flycatcher (Myiarchus cinerascens) (1)
- Reported Jun 21, 2020 08:38 by Joshua Meyers
- Oaks Bottom Wildlife Refuge, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.4776166,-122.6553154&ll=45.4776166,-122.6553154
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "First observed by Ezra Cohen. Perched low in bare shrub at
north end of meadow. Large Flycatcher with prominent, peaked crest. Rufous
wing coverts and undertail coverts. Light colored breast. Overall gray
upper parts. Pic"

Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus) (1)
- Reported Jun 16, 2020 07:35 by Tyler Groo
- Paulina--Dorschied Butte, Crook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.121945,-119.8520851&ll=44.121945,-119.8520851
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "spotted on Woodshed roof; flew to perch for several minutes on
Woodshed Juniper – rummaging around in clusters of juniper berries, finally
plucked one to toss into the air and attempt to catch as I have seen
solitaires do; apparently drops tossed berry. Large flycatcher; dark
charcoal above; light below – white chin & belly, light grey breast band,
light yellow wash to flanks & lower belly; white tip tail; seen at this
location one to a few times every year or so."

Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) (2)
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 08:30 by Karl Schneck
- Rogue River Preserve (restricted access), Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.5378406,-122.8442612&ll=42.5378406,-122.8442612
- Comments: "continuing bird(s) found by Frank Lospalluto; seen and heard
by excellent birders; photos by others"

Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 07:33 by Rene Allen
- Rogue River Preserve (restricted access), Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.5378406,-122.8442612&ll=42.5378406,-122.8442612
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "Dedicated field trip to track down this bird, originally found
by Frank L last year and then again this year. Singing loudly and non-stop.
Also did harsh ‘vreeyy’ calls a few times. In tall cottonwoods in riparian
woodland at 42.5296371, -122.8395151. Recordings by Janet, Alex, etc and
photos by Alex and Lauren. Around 9:30am Frank pointed out that a second
REVI was singing nearby, and we may have seen the two interacting. We then
could hear both counter-singing. An Ash-throated Flycatcher also got into a
tussle with one of the vireos."

Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 07:33 by Janet Kelly
- Rogue River Preserve (restricted access), Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.5378406,-122.8442612&ll=42.5378406,-122.8442612
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "Dedicated field trip to track down this bird, originally found
by Frank L last year and then again this year. Singing loudly and non-stop.
Also did harsh ‘vreeyy’ calls a few times. In tall cottonwoods in riparian
woodland at 42.5296371, -122.8395151. Recordings by Janet, Alex, etc and
photos by Alex and Lauren. Around 9:30am Frank pointed out that a second
REVI was singing nearby, and we may have seen the two interacting. We then
could hear both counter-singing. An Ash-throated Flycatcher also got into a
tussle with one of the vireos."

Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 07:33 by Sammie Peat
- Rogue River Preserve (restricted access), Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.5378406,-122.8442612&ll=42.5378406,-122.8442612
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "Dedicated field trip to track down this bird, originally found
by Frank L last year and then again this year. Singing loudly and non-stop.
Also did harsh ‘vreeyy’ calls a few times. In tall cottonwoods in riparian
woodland at 42.5296371, -122.8395151. Recordings by Janet, Alex, etc and
photos by Alex and Lauren. Around 9:30am Frank pointed out that a second
REVI was singing nearby, and we may have seen the two interacting. We then
could hear both counter-singing. An Ash-throated Flycatcher also got into a
tussle with one of the vireos."

Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 08:50 by Norman Barrett
- Rogue River Preserve (restricted access)., Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.5356271,-122.8384781&ll=42.5356271,-122.8384781
- Media: 1 Photo, 1 Audio
- Comments: "White undersides, greenish above. Repeatedly singing."

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea) (2)
- Reported Jun 21, 2020 08:46 by Randall Sinnott
- Mt. Pisgah--SE access (Ridgeway Rd.), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.9914227,-122.9415286&ll=43.9914227,-122.9415286
- Comments: "2 small blue gray birds. White tail bars. Buzzy song."

Veery (Catharus fuscescens) (1)
- Reported Jun 19, 2020 11:57 by M.A. Kruse
- Black Butte Swamp, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.3713649,-121.6314715&ll=44.3713649,-121.6314715
- Comments: "Continuing rarity. Seen flying into aspens. Heard calling."

Veery (Catharus fuscescens) (1)
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 10:49 by Alan Contreras
- Indian Ford Campground, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.357242,-121.6104126&ll=44.357242,-121.6104126
- Comments: "Called a couple times."

Veery (Catharus fuscescens) (1)
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 10:49 by Vjera Thompson
- Indian Ford Campground, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.357242,-121.6104126&ll=44.357242,-121.6104126
- Comments: "Called a couple times."

Veery (Catharus fuscescens) (1)
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 10:49 by Rich Hoyer
- Indian Ford Campground, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.357242,-121.6104126&ll=44.357242,-121.6104126
- Comments: "Called a couple times."

Swainson's Thrush (Olive-backed) (Catharus ustulatus [swainsoni Group]) (15)
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 18:03 by Matt Cahill
- Union, OR - Little Minam River Trail, Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.2645666,-117.6654095&ll=45.2645666,-117.6654095
- Comments: "eBird ISSF details: All birds heard singing, several calling,
many right next to me on the trail. All fit olive-backed details, so
logging them as such. Made a few recordings.

Songs clearer, higher, and more complex than russet-backed, also clear
rising 'veeet' calls differing from the lower, rougher, descending calls of
russet-backed."

Swainson's Thrush (Olive-backed) (Catharus ustulatus [swainsoni Group]) (10)
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 16:28 by Matt Cahill
- Union, OR - Little Minam River Trail, Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.2645666,-117.6654095&ll=45.2645666,-117.6654095
- Comments: "eBird ISSF details: All birds heard singing, several calling,
many right next to me on the trail. All fit olive-backed details, so
logging them as such. Made a few recordings.

Songs clearer, higher, and more complex than russet-backed, also clear
rising 'veeet' calls differing from the lower, rougher, descending calls of
russet-backed."

Yellow-breasted Chat (Icteria virens) (1)
- Reported Jun 21, 2020 07:46 by Wink Gross
- 32770 Gist Rd, Cloverdale US-OR (45.2176,-123.8894), Tillamook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.217631,-123.889385&ll=45.217631,-123.889385
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "/h Heard. Recorded."

Yellow-breasted Chat (Icteria virens) (1)
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 16:24 by Wink Gross
- 32770 Gist Rd, Cloverdale US-OR (45.2176,-123.8894), Tillamook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.217631,-123.889385&ll=45.217631,-123.889385
- Comments: "/h heard only. pretty sure, but need to confirm. Did not
respond to playback."

Yellow-breasted Chat (Icteria virens) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 08:27 by Elijah Hayes
- Frain Ranch Campground, Klamath, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.026544,-122.10065&ll=42.026544,-122.10065
- Comments: "Singing from a tree along the road a decent distance from the
river but still in the valley. Was able to observe and photograph as it
moved from perch to perch, making chak and other calls. Known location for
this species in the county."

Orange-crowned Warbler (orestera) (Leiothlypis celata orestera) (1)
- Reported Jun 21, 2020 08:19 by Matt Cahill
- Emigrant Springs SP, Umatilla, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.5391304,-118.4643478&ll=45.5391304,-118.4643478
- Comments: "eBird ISSF details - singing male from top of willow. Clear
views drab gray-yellow bird with pale yellow undertail vent but not hooded
in appeance, unlike liteacens (color/brightness) or singing male celata
(more gray-hooded)."

Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) (Setophaga coronata auduboni) (1)
CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 09:15 by Joshua Meyers
- 32419–32421 Lost Valley Rd, Condon US-OR 45.07516, -119.97042, Gilliam,
Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.075162,-119.970416&ll=45.075162,-119.970416
- Comments: "Previously reported. H/O. Weak “sidl, sidl, sidl“upward trend
dissipating towards end. Not as high pitched as myrtle."

Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) (Setophaga coronata auduboni) (1)
CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 09:15 by Linnaea Basden
- 32419–32421 Lost Valley Rd, Condon US-OR 45.07516, -119.97042, Gilliam,
Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.075162,-119.970416&ll=45.075162,-119.970416
- Comments: "Previously reported. H/O. Weak “sidl, sidl, sidl“upward trend
dissipating towards end. Not as high pitched as myrtle."

Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus) (1)
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 08:00 by Michael Plank
- Anderson Creek, Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.2680242,-122.8065592&ll=42.2680242,-122.8065592
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "juvenile male has been here 2 days at our feeders"

Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus) (1)
- Reported Jun 19, 2020 07:30 by Michael Plank
- Anderson Creek, Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.2680242,-122.8065592&ll=42.2680242,-122.8065592
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "showed up this morning at feeders"

Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus) (1)
- Reported Jun 19, 2020 18:00 by Norman Barrett
- Phoenix, Oregon, Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.2681119,-122.8069916&ll=42.2681119,-122.8069916
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "1 adult male coming to a feeder in a manufactured home park."

Lazuli Bunting (Passerina amoena) (1)
- Reported Jun 21, 2020 08:26 by Wink Gross
- Bottom FS3-8-20, Tillamook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.290473,-123.702014&ll=45.290473,-123.702014
- Comments: "Singing male. Photo"

eBird Alerts provide recent reports of regionally or seasonally rare
species (Rarities Alerts) or species you have not yet observed (Needs
Alerts) in your region of interest; both Accepted and Unreviewed
observations are included. Some reports may be from private property or
inaccessible to the general public. It is the responsibility of every
eBirder to be aware of and respectful of access restrictions. For more
information, see our Terms of Use:
https://www.birds.cornell.edu/home/terms-of-use/

Join us on Facebook!