Date: 6/21/20 8:44 am
From: Linda Gilbert <oregonjunco...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Helping others get on a good bird
As far as helping someone else to get on an alcid bobbing in the ocean I have found that the best way is to say, "Here, look through my scope, quickly before it dives". The other option is to use other birds and the horizon as reference points as well as to specify the direction. " Do you see those 3 loons straight out about halfway to the horizon? Okay, go left and then toward us". You can get more specific using the clock hand method ( 12 to 3 to the right and 12 to 9 to the left) or how many scope views left or right from a reference point.
Linda Gilbert
Eugene

Join us on Facebook!