Date: 6/20/20 10:41 pm
From: marciafcutler <marciafcutler...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Helping others get on a good bird
A great explanation on how to get others on a bird - on land.

Do you or anyone else have any pointers on how to get people (including me) on an alcid bobbing in the waves about 1000 feet plus off-shore with no convenient rocks to line up with, or passing ships or other objects to help one orient on the bird?

Marcia F. Cutler

> On Jun 20, 2020, at 9:26 AM, Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...> wrote:
>
> Recently I was birding with friends who found a good bird. I wanted to see the bird, but they struggled to help me get on it. It was frustrating.
>
> I have been leading bird walks and trips for nearly 40 years, and I’ve developed some techniques for helping others get on a bird quickly. I’ve written an article for publication that I hope will come out in the not-too-distant future. Meanwhile, let me offer a brief summary.
>
> COMMUNICATE
> If you find a good bird the first step is to communicate. Don’t stammer and say, “I don’t know how to tell you where it is.” Communicate all that you know, not just “hawk!”, but ‘Hawk flying, on the right side of the road, going left, below the horizon.” Don’t make people ask, “Is it flying? Which side of the road?” Which way is it going?”
>
> MOVING BIRD
> If the bird is moving, time is of the essence. Say if the bird is flying, swimming, or walking and which way it’s going.
> Divide the scene into quadrants: Which side of the road, above or below the horizon, ahead of the car or behind, on the fence or in the road.
>
> PERCHED BIRD – LOWER YOUR BINOCULARS TO SEE CONTEXT
> If the bird is perched and hard to find, look carefully with your binoculars. Note the branches near it. Lock onto the bird with your eyes, lock your neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists. Then swivel JUST YOUR SHOULDERS to lower your binoculars and see the bird with your naked eye. Note the surroundings, the context. Put your binoculars back up and refind the bird. Do this a couple times to make sure you have the location. This only takes a few seconds.
>
> Once you have the “big picture” of where the bird is, DEVELOP A NARRATIVE to lead others to the spot. Pick out an unambiguous landmark in the area and lead others from that landmark to the bird.
>
> Example: Across the prairie there are two red barns. Start with the right-hand barn. In front of it, slightly right, is a lone Ponderosa pine in a fence row. Count 5 fence posts to the right of that tree and you’ll find the Great Gray Owl.
>
> Example: Out here in the flats there are 3 strips of water. Look at the farthest strip. In the middle of that strip, on the near shore, next to a tall brown weed is a shorebird, facing right. That is a Willet.
>
> GET PEOPLE ON THE RIGHT TREE BEFORE YOU DESCRIBE THE BRANCH
> Before you get down to the detail of where the bird is, describing a branch with a funny crook, crossing in front of another branch, you need to get people on the right tree, then on the left side of the trunk, then in the top 10 feet of the tree, then half-way out from the trunk to the tip of the branch.

> [...]

Join us on Facebook!