Date: 6/20/20 8:45 pm
From: Gerald White <apuffin...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Gray Catbird call
I had a Northern Bobwhite call coming from the heavy cover on the edge of
my yard 150 feet from me. I played a territorial call for NOBO using my
phone app hoping that it might show itself. I had an immediate response
from the brush as two birds flew directly to me; two Gray Catbirds! One
of them was mimicking the NOBO and responded to the NOBO call. The mimic
call was a very clean two note call. I wonder what motivated the catbird
to respond so quickly? If they respond with every one of their mimics he
is going to be a very busy bird because we have NOBO just across the road
from him and plenty of other birds nearby that he may be mimicking.
Gerald White