Date: 6/20/20 6:49 pm
From: Charlie La Rosa <charlie.larosa...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Unknown high fliers in Montpelier today
I would guess ring-billed gulls. They follow the Winooski River upstream
from the Champlain Valley during the summer. Harvesting an insect hatch in
the air is not unreasonable for them at all. Have observed them doing that
a number of times. There have been a number of r-b gulls in downtown Barre
over the last week. I wonder if they ever take advantage of thermal
updrafts to gain height before cruising back along the river. I think you
are probably spot on.
Charlie La Rosa
So. Washington

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 7:40 PM John Snell <jrsnelljr...> wrote:

> While at the Farmers Market today at noon, I became aware of a half dozen
> fairly large white birds flying high over the city, mainly soaring and
> circling and not much wing flapping. They were just high enough that I
> could not make out any field markings other than their overall white
> undersides.
>
> They were shortly joined by another two dozen of the same exhibiting the
> same soaring behavior. They then disappeared! Not by flying away but by
> flying even higher—to the point where I could no longer see them.
>
> I thought maybe gulls of some sort. Harvesting an insect hatch seems
> possible but an unlikely gull activity. I’d appreciate thoughts as this one
> is beyond my limited skills as a birder.
>
> Still learning to see,
>
> John Snell
>

> http://www.johnsnell.photography <http://www.eyeimagein.com/>
> http://www.stilllearningtosee.com <http://www.stilllearningtosee.com/>