Date: 6/20/20 6:05 pm
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] Re: [ADV] Helping others get on a good bird
Darrel,

I do understand your problem and have had the same experience. It’s hard to point out a bird on the sea and get other people on it. Or to get on a bird that someone else is seeing.

There is one solution I’ve thought of, that I dream of seeing implemented. You get a high quality scope with a binocular eyepiece. You put a TV camera on one eyepiece and put an expert sea-watcher in charge of the other eyepiece. That person controls where the scope is pointed. This camera is hooked up to a large, high-resolution TV screen. All this is housed in a kiosk sheltered from the weather.

This allows the expert to focus on seabirds and show them live to an audience of birders. You get to sit there and see the birds that only experts would otherwise see.

Paul Sullivan