Date: 6/20/20 3:05 pm
From: <t4c1x...>
Subject: [obol] Re: [ADV] Helping others get on a good bird
Very good, Paul, but it begs a question. How do you apply this method to pelagic species seen from shore? I have found it is almost impossible to share with anybody the position of a bird in such situations, regardless of whether it was swimming or flying. Part of the difficulty is the differing perspective people have of distance. What might look like 100 yards to some people might be half a mile to others. Also the position of the bird relative to the position of the observer. I have generally used the, "It's at 10 o'clock" method, but again, perspective is a problem. And on a flying bird, it is almost useless. Many times birds fly close to the water, so they periodically go behind swells. 10 o'clock when you see the bird may well be 7 or 2 o'clock by the time it reappears. Any help, here?

Darrel