Date: 6/20/20 2:33 pm
From: Teresa Hertzel <teresa.hertzel...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Oregon Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

Mountain Quail (1 Crook)
Ring-necked Pheasant (1 Deschutes)
Wild Turkey (1 Malheur)
Black-chinned Hummingbird (1 Washington)
Rufous Hummingbird (1 Curry)
Western Sandpiper (1 Lake)
Iceland Gull (Thayer's) (1 Lincoln)
Common Loon (1 Baker)
American Three-toed Woodpecker (1 Deschutes)
Black-backed Woodpecker (2 Multnomah)
Willow Flycatcher (1 Deschutes)
Least Flycatcher (2 Deschutes)
Red-eyed Vireo (1 Columbia, 7 Jackson)
White-breasted Nuthatch (Interior West) (1 Baker, 2 Malheur)
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (1 Lane)
Gray Catbird (1 Harney)
Veery (1 Deschutes)
Red Crossbill (Douglas-fir or type 4) (1 Lane)
Red Crossbill (Ponderosa Pine or type 2) (1 Baker, 1 Malheur)
Bobolink (1 Crook)
Common Grackle (2 Baker)
Northern Waterthrush (1 Deschutes)
Orange-crowned Warbler (2 Crook)
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (1 Jackson)

eBird encourages our users to bird safely, responsibly, and mindfully.
Please follow the recommendations of your local health authorities and
respect any active travel restrictions in your area. For more information
visit: https://ebird.org/news/please-bird-mindfully

Mountain Quail (Oreortyx pictus) (1)
- Reported Jun 18, 2020 10:40 by Nancy Stotz
- Twin Pillars Trail No. 832, Crook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.465758,-120.534344&ll=44.465758,-120.534344
- Comments: "Giving diagnostic call from slope across from bottom part of
climb. Video (with audio of call) posted here (House Wren song is louder;
but 2 MOQU calls can be heard at 4 and 13 seconds).
https://www.flickr.com/gp/98973699@N03/555vvz"

Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) (1)
- Reported Jun 19, 2020 13:42 by Kara Jakse
- Trout Creek Hillside, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.2666802,-121.6924567&ll=44.2666802,-121.6924567
- Comments: "This seems such an unlikely spot for a pheasant that I’m
wondering if it could be a released or escaped domestic? It walked across
the 1018 road ahead of my car, moving down towards the creek. Classic
Ring-neck Pheasant profile. Male. Large bird with a very long, pointy
tail held up and behind it at between a 45 and 90 degree angle. The bird
was in the shade so I couldn’t see colors, but I did see a prominent bright
white collar at the base of the neck. Tail too long for a Grouse, and the
bird was bigger than a raven. The white ring at the neck was unmistakable."

Wild Turkey (Meleagris gallopavo) (1)
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 06:50 by Caleb Centanni
- King Bend (43.95261, -116.96532) campsite (state land — ‘private’ signed
road to is lying), Malheur, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.952613,-116.965319&ll=43.952613,-116.965319
- Comments: "(Rare): “unreported”: ho gobble, hidden in thicket. We saw
turkeys yesterday S. of here at Owyhee bridge, so they are in this area"

Black-chinned Hummingbird (Archilochus alexandri) (1)
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 11:29 by Jed Petersen
- Jackson Bottom Wetlands Preserve--Survey Area 9, Washington, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.5002561,-122.9839289&ll=45.5002561,-122.9839289
- Comments: "Male with black/purplish gorget. Seen at the end of"

Rufous Hummingbird (Selasphorus rufus) (1)
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 09:21 by Rick Williams
- Harris Beach SP, Curry, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.068482,-124.3106461&ll=42.068482,-124.3106461
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Male. Seems to have more rufous on upper back than Allen's
would. Will add photos shortly."

Western Sandpiper (Calidris mauri) (1)
- Reported Jun 19, 2020 19:26 by Craig Miller
- Summer Lake Wildlife Area, Lake, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.950819,-120.7639503&ll=42.950819,-120.7639503
- Comments: "Continuing"

Iceland Gull (Thayer's) (Larus glaucoides thayeri) (1)
- Reported Jun 19, 2020 08:08 by Annika Andersson
- Yaquina River--SE Jetty Way, Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.6158891,-124.0618658&ll=44.6158891,-124.0618658
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Photos. Slightly larger than the California Gulls."

Common Loon (Gavia immer) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 18, 2020 12:34 by Caleb Centanni
- Murray Reservoir, Baker, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.3513197,-118.1040359&ll=44.3513197,-118.1040359
- Comments: "(Rare): “unreported”: seen well. attempted digiscope photos.
large whitish waterbird, thought might be a grebe before got in bins: gray
and white plumage, with white necklace mark cutting into neck."

American Three-toed Woodpecker (Picoides dorsalis) (1)
- Reported Jun 17, 2020 13:00 by Kaplan Yalcin
- Trout Creek Swamp, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.2461577,-121.6949676&ll=44.2461577,-121.6949676
- Comments: "medium sized woodpecker with barred flanks, mottled back
(rather than solid black like black-backed or clean white back patch as
with hairy), white malar stripe, fainter white eyeline behind eye (rather
than over as with Hairy). Did not see yellow flecking on crown. Chased off
by another woodpecker after a couple minutes observation in bins and could
not relocate. Between trailhead and waterthrush spot"

Black-backed Woodpecker (Picoides arcticus) (1)
- Reported Jun 17, 2020 08:37 by Mary Lynn "Em" Scattaregia
- Larch Mountain, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.5295611,-122.088232&ll=45.5295611,-122.088232
- Comments: "Heard the Hairy woodpecker's high pitched “tweet” two times.
Then heard a very different call. It was more like someone clucking out of
the side of their mouth or a “kissing” sound. It called several times. Upon
hearing a recorded black-backed call later, I concluded this is what I
heard."

Black-backed Woodpecker (Picoides arcticus) (1)
- Reported Jun 17, 2020 08:37 by Anne Tucker
- Larch Mountain Rd., Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.5358045,-122.1218026&ll=45.5358045,-122.1218026
- Comments: "Heard the hairy high pitched “tweet” two times. Then heard a
very different call. It was more like someone clucking out of the side of
their mouth or a “kissing” sound. It called several times. Upon hearing a
black-back call later, I concluded this is what I heard. I will add that I
know this species has been heard and seen in this area."

Willow Flycatcher (Empidonax traillii) (1)
- Reported Jun 19, 2020 09:53 by judy meredith
- Upper Indian Ford Creek, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.3598066,-121.6216815&ll=44.3598066,-121.6216815
- Comments: "Heard fitz bew, not far from the gate."

Least Flycatcher (Empidonax minimus) (1)
- Reported Jun 19, 2020 11:07 by Tye Jeske
- Upper Indian Ford Creek, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.3598066,-121.6216815&ll=44.3598066,-121.6216815
- Comments: "Continuing, seen roughly half a mile from the green gate, I
heard it giving clear "che-beck" calls, however I did not see it."

Least Flycatcher (Empidonax minimus) (1)
- Reported Jun 17, 2020 12:00 by Kaplan Yalcin
- Upper Indian Ford Creek, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.3598066,-121.6216815&ll=44.3598066,-121.6216815
- Comments: "continuing bird. Heard chee-bek, then seen. Downstream of gate
in pines about 300 yards. Cross bridge then go downstream to second
prominent lava rock terrace overlooking stream. Thanks to Steve for showing
its preferred hangout."

Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 08:59 by Anne Goff
- Rogue River Preserve (restricted access), Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.5378406,-122.8442612&ll=42.5378406,-122.8442612
- Comments: "Seen and or heard by whole group( section be bird heard by
Frank L and me) males"

Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 07:33 by Jon Cox
- Rogue River Preserve (restricted access), Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.5378406,-122.8442612&ll=42.5378406,-122.8442612
- Comments: "Dedicated field trip to track down this bird, originally found
by Frank L last year and then again this year. Singing loudly and non-stop.
Also did harsh ‘vreeyy’ calls a few times. In tall cottonwoods in riparian
woodland at 42.5296371, -122.8395151. Recordings by Janet, Alex, etc and
photos by Alex and Lauren. Around 9:30am Frank pointed out that a second
REVI was singing nearby, and we may have seen the two interacting. We then
could hear both counter-singing. An Ash-throated Flycatcher also got into a
tussle with one of the vireos."

Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 07:33 by Alex Lamoreaux
- Rogue River Preserve (restricted access), Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.5378406,-122.8442612&ll=42.5378406,-122.8442612
- Comments: "Dedicated field trip to track down this bird, originally found
by Frank L last year and then again this year. Singing loudly and non-stop.
Also did harsh ‘vreeyy’ calls a few times. In tall cottonwoods in riparian
woodland at 42.5296371, -122.8395151. Recordings by Janet, Alex, etc and
photos by Alex and Lauren. Around 9:30am Frank pointed out that a second
REVI was singing nearby, and we may have seen the two interacting. We then
could hear both counter-singing. An Ash-throated Flycatcher also got into a
tussle with one of the vireos."

Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 07:33 by Frank Lospalluto
- Rogue River Preserve (restricted access), Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.5378406,-122.8442612&ll=42.5378406,-122.8442612
- Comments: "Dedicated field trip to track down this bird, originally found
by Frank L last year and then again this year. Singing loudly and non-stop.
Also did harsh ‘vreeyy’ calls a few times. In tall cottonwoods in riparian
woodland at 42.5296371, -122.8395151. Recordings by Janet, Alex, etc and
photos by Alex and Lauren. Around 9:30am Frank pointed out that a second
REVI was singing nearby, and we may have seen the two interacting. We then
could hear both counter-singing. An Ash-throated Flycatcher also got into a
tussle with one of the vireos."

Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 07:33 by Lauren diBiccari
- Rogue River Preserve (restricted access), Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.5378406,-122.8442612&ll=42.5378406,-122.8442612
- Comments: "Dedicated field trip to track down this bird, originally found
by Frank L last year and then again this year. Singing loudly and non-stop.
Also did harsh ‘vreeyy’ calls a few times. In tall cottonwoods in riparian
woodland at 42.5296371, -122.8395151. Recordings by Janet, Alex, etc and
photos by Alex and Lauren. Around 9:30am Frank pointed out that a second
REVI was singing nearby, and we may have seen the two interacting. We then
could hear both counter-singing. An Ash-throated Flycatcher also got into a
tussle with one of the vireos."

Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 08:50 by Howard Sands
- Rogue River Preserve (restricted access)., Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.5356271,-122.8384781&ll=42.5356271,-122.8384781
- Media: 1 Photo, 1 Audio
- Comments: "White undersides, greenish above. Repeatedly singing."

Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 20, 2020 08:50 by James Livaudais
- Rogue River Preserve (restricted access)., Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.5356271,-122.8384781&ll=42.5356271,-122.8384781
- Media: 1 Photo, 1 Audio
- Comments: "White undersides, greenish above. Repeatedly singing."

Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 19, 2020 07:33 by Patty Newland
- Warrior Point Trail, Columbia, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.8083469,-122.7980196&ll=45.8083469,-122.7980196
- Comments: "Seen and heard."

White-breasted Nuthatch (Interior West) (Sitta carolinensis [lagunae
Group]) (1)
- Reported Jun 18, 2020 09:46 by Caleb Centanni
- Malheur NFS Rd 16 (Malheur co.), Malheur, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.246058,-118.22305&ll=44.246058,-118.22305
- Comments: "“Unreported”: ho well, classic eastside type like woodpecker
whinny, instead of single nasal call"

White-breasted Nuthatch (Interior West) (Sitta carolinensis [lagunae
Group]) (1)
- Reported Jun 18, 2020 10:34 by Caleb Centanni
- Malheur NFS Rd 16--County Line, Malheur/Baker (Baker co.) (Nb set pin
farther N. than sign for ebird to change co.), Baker, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.2610483,-118.2166042&ll=44.2610483,-118.2166042
- Comments: "“Unreported”: ho well, classic eastside type like woodpecker
whinny, instead of single nasal call"

White-breasted Nuthatch (Interior West) (Sitta carolinensis [lagunae
Group]) (1)
- Reported Jun 18, 2020 10:46 by Caleb Centanni
- Malheur NFS Rd 16--County Line, Malheur/Baker (Malheur co.), Malheur,
Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.253821,-118.217936&ll=44.253821,-118.217936
- Comments: "“Unreported”: ho well, classic eastside type like woodpecker
whinny, instead of single nasal call"

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea) (4) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 18, 2020 07:27 by Jim Regali
- Mt. Pisgah--SE access (Ridgeway Rd.), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.9914227,-122.9415286&ll=43.9914227,-122.9415286
- Comments: "Four birds seen or heard. Probably two pairs. The first pair
was along #6 on the north side in Ceanothus and Oak. The second, apparent
pair was shortly after crossing Buckbrush Creek on #3 starting up the
switch back. I only heard this bird but others in the group saw the bird.
The fourth bird was spotted by Dennis Arendt and we had fairly good but
brief looks before it flew off. This was probably 300-400 yards south on #3
heading to the parking lot."

Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis) (1)
- Reported Jun 18, 2020 07:00 by Kaplan Yalcin
- Malheur NWR--Headquarters, Harney, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.2654648,-118.8440412&ll=43.2654648,-118.8440412
- Comments: "all gray except for dark cap and rusty undertail. Heard and
seen, moving between lilac bushes next to store and nearby crabapple tree"

Veery (Catharus fuscescens) (1)
- Reported Jun 19, 2020 12:54 by Tye Jeske
- Black Butte Swamp, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.3713649,-121.6314715&ll=44.3713649,-121.6314715
- Comments: "Continuing, only heard sing once for sure, and heard give
short "veer" calls a couple of times as well. May of seen once as well,
flying through aspens, as I saw a thrush, with white belly, rusty red upper
side, and spotting on breast."

Red Crossbill (Douglas-fir or type 4) (Loxia curvirostra (type 4)) (1)
CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 19, 2020 05:30 by Rich Hoyer
- Calliope Corner, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.091925,-123.1374&ll=44.091925,-123.1374
- Comments: "Distinctive dry “clip” call"

Red Crossbill (Ponderosa Pine or type 2) (Loxia curvirostra (type 2)) (3)
- Reported Jun 18, 2020 09:46 by Caleb Centanni
- Malheur NFS Rd 16 (Malheur co.), Malheur, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.246058,-118.22305&ll=44.246058,-118.22305
- Comments: "made recording of singing , tape may have caught 1-2 flight
calls , which sounded like prob type 2 to us ; another recording 10:31a w
flight calls"

Red Crossbill (Ponderosa Pine or type 2) (Loxia curvirostra (type 2)) (2)
- Reported Jun 18, 2020 10:34 by Caleb Centanni
- Malheur NFS Rd 16--County Line, Malheur/Baker (Baker co.) (Nb set pin
farther N. than sign for ebird to change co.), Baker, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.2610483,-118.2166042&ll=44.2610483,-118.2166042
- Comments: "made recording of"

Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus) (10)
- Reported Jun 19, 2020 09:02 by Charles Gates
- 15656–15682 SE Puett Rd, Paulina US-OR 44.17120, -119.79364, Crook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.171201,-119.793635&ll=44.171201,-119.793635
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Photo"

Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula) (2)
- Reported Jun 19, 2020 16:49 by Becca Ballenger
- Wallowa-Whitman NF--Powder River Recreation Area, Baker, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.6734561,-117.9878338&ll=44.6734561,-117.9878338
- Comments: "On the highway"

Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula) (2)
- Reported Jun 19, 2020 16:49 by Artie Sievers
- Wallowa-Whitman NF--Powder River Recreation Area, Baker, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.6734561,-117.9878338&ll=44.6734561,-117.9878338
- Comments: "On the highway"

Northern Waterthrush (Parkesia noveboracensis) (1)
- Reported Jun 17, 2020 13:00 by Kaplan Yalcin
- Trout Creek Swamp, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.2461577,-121.6949676&ll=44.2461577,-121.6949676
- Comments: "left trail at pink flagging and followed singing - sweet sweet
sweee chew chew chew. Think I was withing about 50 feet but could not see
the bird and forward progress was impossible Listened to it sing for about
10 minutes before it fell silent. Did not resume singing before I left."

Orange-crowned Warbler (Leiothlypis celata) (2)
- Reported Jun 18, 2020 10:40 by Nancy Stotz
- Twin Pillars Trail No. 832, Crook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.465758,-120.534344&ll=44.465758,-120.534344
- Comments: "Heard only; trill that descends and fades at end (as opposed
to steadier trills of DEJU and CHSP)"

Orange-crowned Warbler (Leiothlypis celata) (1)
- Reported Jun 18, 2020 07:45 by Nancy Stotz
- Twin Pillars Trail No. 832, Crook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.465758,-120.534344&ll=44.465758,-120.534344
- Comments: "Heard only; flat trill that drops down at end (distinct from
steady trills of DEJU and CHSP)"

Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus) (1)
- Reported Jun 19, 2020 09:00 by Norman Barrett
- Phoenix, Oregon, Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.2681119,-122.8069916&ll=42.2681119,-122.8069916
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "One male visited a feeder 3 times in a 6 hour period"

eBird Alerts provide recent reports of regionally or seasonally rare
species (Rarities Alerts) or species you have not yet observed (Needs
Alerts) in your region of interest; both Accepted and Unreviewed
observations are included. Some reports may be from private property or
inaccessible to the general public. It is the responsibility of every
eBirder to be aware of and respectful of access restrictions. For more
information, see our Terms of Use:
https://www.birds.cornell.edu/home/terms-of-use/

Join us on Facebook!